• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serious Problem...computer wont run

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PiMpShiN

This is how it began:

Due to noise generated by my 92mm Torando I decided to 7v it. I connected the 12v and 7v together with wire. My power psu is a Antec TruePower 480w, it has an external power connector in the back that i was going to use to test the 7v Tornado.

As i turned on the computer with the Tornado plugged in the back all of a sudden everything stopped working. I turned powered off the computer and waited a while. Then I turned it back on and everything turned on but nothing would happen. Something especially strange was that my burner's light was orange (always green unless burning). The boot screen wouldnt come up or anything. I kept waiting and trying again but nothing worked.

Attempts:
1. I replaced the battery for the bios but same thing happened.
2. I replaced my processor but same thing happened.
3. Reset BIOS but same thing happened.

Im very concerned about what has happened to my computer, I would really appreciate any help.

OP
PiMpShiN

PiMpShiN

I dont know if anyone has been in a situation where they need help quick and im in that situation. Please anyones help would be great.

OP
PiMpShiN

PiMpShiN

I dont think i may have done it wrong, but i tried it another way and everytime i try it, it turns off the psu.

man this is gonna be one of those situations that no one answers untill i buy a new psu and waste my money then people are going to start helping me.

OP
PiMpShiN

PiMpShiN

why is it whenever i do the 7 volt fan mod the psu always turns off? It did the same with my old one too. I know im doing it right.

Mico

All I can think is that somewhere you shorted it...does it supply any power at all, i.e. fans spinning or anything?

OP
PiMpShiN

PiMpShiN

when you restarted your comp was the fan still attached?

no i took off the fan.

All I can think is that somewhere you shorted it...does it supply any power at all, i.e. fans spinning or anything?

all the fans and everything are spinning but the screen wont come up or anything. and the thing that freaks me out the most is the fact that the burner light is orange, that cant be good.

Mico

Hmm...that indeed doesn't sound good. Take everything but the bare minimum (CD, Floppy, Video, One stick of RAM) off, and try restarting. If that doesn't work, let us know.

OP
PiMpShiN

PiMpShiN

honestly i tried that. I knew that all a comp needs to start up is those but it still didnt work.

One thing that confuses me if why everything turns on but nothing works. and i am especially confused about that 7v fan mod that started all this.

cobray

PiMpShiN said:
am especially confused about that 7v fan mod that started all this.

Well, LOL, generally these types of mods yield success when you know what your doing before you start them.

I connected the 12v and 7v together with wire. My power psu is a Antec TruePower 480w, it has an external power connector in the back that i was going to use to test the 7v Tornado.

As i turned on the computer with the Tornado plugged in the back all of a sudden everything stopped working.

Could you elaborate on this a little more. What do you mean "it has an external connector in the back" and "connected the 12v and 7v together with wire". Do you mean you connected the +5VDC (the "red" wire ) to the ground connection on the Tornado (the "black" wire)?

Last edited:
OP
PiMpShiN

PiMpShiN

well i did the mod wrong or another way of doing it, im not sure. what i did was i got a wire and connected the yellow 12v to the red 5v in the back. Then i plugged it into the external power connecter in the back of the psu.

OP
PiMpShiN

PiMpShiN

I read some info on google after that and i did it wrong. The 12v wire from the tornado is supposed to go to the 12v on the molex from the psu and the ground from the tornado was supposed to go to the 5v on the molex.

Cutter

take the motherboard out of the case and put it something that is not conductive. Then just hook the bare minimum to the board and see if it will boot, ie vid, mem, cpu, at least then you will know wether or not it is a short somewhere

OP
PiMpShiN

PiMpShiN

well it happened when i plugged in the fan. so i doubt removing the motherboard would help.

Plus i already tried running the bare minimum.

Mico

This far we have, and correct me if I'm wrong:
1. No post.
2. Spinning fans.
3. Processor switch ineffective.

Set everything the way it was originally, try a restart. If it doesn't work, swap out the motherboard with another. If that doesn't workd...keep swapping things, but only one at a time. I'm afraid you may have burned something out.

OP
PiMpShiN

PiMpShiN

I've only got that one motherboard. I hope its the psu and not the computer components. Basically all i need to try to switch would be the memory now right? The cd and hdd are not neccessary to get the comp to load.

Man i hope its not the memory.

OP
PiMpShiN

PiMpShiN

i swapped it with some kingston ram but i got the same result. I know that power is getting to the motherboard and everthing because the little light that shows that theres a psu is on.

Well could it be the motherboard, because i dont get any error beeps.