• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serious problems using two HDs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrKillington

Alright, here's a stumper for everyone: I use two hard drives, a small one (10 GB) that's a few years old, and a newer one (used to be a maxtor 60GB, now it's a WD 80 GB w/ 8MB cache). Anyway, a little while ago the maxtor started acting funny. At the time, my old one was the master and the new one the slave (obvious problem, read on); both are on the same IDE. Basically, whenever I tried to use it at all, my entire computer would bog down. My mouse was jerky, programs acted as though I had no RAM. Since it had been working with this configuration for months, thought it might be a virus of some sort or hardware failure, not an OS thing. I did virus scanning, ended up reformatting the drive, nothing. I tried the maxtor in a friend's comp, it worked fine. I plugged a friend's HD into my system, that worked fine. So I thought it might be some weird thing with the maxtor, so I went out and got a WD drive. When I installed it, I made it the master and my old one the slave, thinking there might be a problem with the controller card. The first one failed in 30 minutes, made a weird clicking noise. I returned it, got another one. This one worked perfectly for a week, but now it's doing the same thing the maxtor was: my entire system bogs down when I use it, and it seems to get progressively worse. note that I have not once reinstalled my OS, I have been trying to avoid doing so. Bottom line: is it heating? has anyone had this problem? Should I just suck it up and rebuild my computer? Thanks!

Also, could it be a problem with bandwidth sharing over the same IDE?

Ok, I just figured out that the dang thing is being reset to PIO mode instead of UDMA or DMA... why this is happening I don't know, it seems to happen after the HD has been in my computer for a while though... Also, I'm on Win2K if that helps.

Last edited:

nebben

I started having a similar problem with a Maxtor 27gb drive and a newer WD 80gb drive. I could get the WD up as master on channel1, then the maxtor on channel 2 as master. It worked for at least a week or two, then I started getting major problems in windows (98). I couldn't figure it out, so I tried taking the Maxtor out of the loop. Then, noises...clicking, spinning up, spinning down... then it wouldn't even recognize the drive on bootup. I tried WD's utilities (manually setting the ATA speed of the drive), all to no avail. I was sure the drive was bad. I eventually narrowed it down to a fluke in the cable *and* limited support in the BIOS. I still don't know why it even booted up for a week.

I got an ATA66 controller, and never had a problem again.

I was thinking that it could be a problem with your motherboard, and with the way that the OS is configured on the disk. Did you ever try doing a repair? Latest BIOS updates? Latest drivers?

-ben

OP
MrKillington

MrKillington

well, no, I haven't picked up new drivers, mainly because it was working for so long. But I will do that, as soon as it is no longer 10 pm.