• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serously thinking on water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Madmann135

Registered
As the title says I am seriously thinking on building a water cooling system but I do not know where to start.

I am working with a budget of ~$300 (I want a Koolance RP-980BK pump/reservoir and that is ~$130, I also want a high performance 120x2 radiator and I can find one for ~$70).

It is my goal to use 1/2" ID tubing, cool my CPU and GPU (use heat sinks for the GPU's V-RAM) and use distilled water (with as minimal additive for microbe and corrosive defense, looking at 'PrimoChill Liquid Utopia Clear' as it treats 1 gallon of H2O).

My mind is not completely set on anything and I am looking for advice and direction.

I also plan to buy online and the places I am looking at are Performance-pcs and Frozen CPU web sites.

I plan to cool a LGA 775 socket CPU and a GTX 260 55nm card.

Any help, site additions and product directions would be greatly appreciated.
I want the most bang for my buck.

e6600

the 980BK pump is really not the best thing to get out there performance wise and for the money.
id consider a laing ddc/d5 as a pump or ddc+res top if you want a very solid res/pump combo.

for $300 and cooling both your gpu and cpu, id consider getting
swiftech gtz
swiftech mcr320qp. although if you want a 120x2, a thermochill/feser rad would be nice
swiftech mcw60
yate loon mediums
260gtx mosfet/ram sinks
7/16 is really safer and better all round, but its your choice
id really consider not getting any additive stuff.. its a waste of money on any budget and silver+distilled does so much better. you can always buy anti corrosive stuff if you pick an aluminum part, but the mixes are really a rip off

Conumdrum

Agreed 6600.

Op: You can buy the best performing on the market pump and res for $110, or even less with a just as good pump and res. We pretty much shun Koolance, it's got a long history of umm I'll just say problems.

You will need to look at a 120x3 rad for cooling if you overclock. The MCR 320 is under $70. Any quality 1/2 or 7/16 ID hose is fine with clamps on barbs. No less than screw/hose clamps for your first time. We just had a hose pop off a CPU block when someone thought 7/16 ID without clamps was good enough. Yea, they were new. Looks like the Mobo is toast now.

A great CPU block with expandability is the Swiftech GT. You can save about $20 but lose a few C in performance with some other decent ones.

The MCW60 would be great for your GPU.

Your biggest worry is cooling the CPU and GPU and trying to stay under $350.

A big link with LOTS of learning guides, tests on equipment, and USA stores we like to buy from.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253958-29-watercooling-guide

Welcome to OC! Just got a few things to learn and you'll be on your way to quiet and cool.

OP
M

Madmann135

Registered
Ditching the Koolance pump/res combo I added the Danger Dan/Laing DDC 3.25 pump.
Considering I want a 5.25" bay reservoir I am looking at this Bitspower 5.25" Bay Reservoir POM Version - Black. Would this be a good or bad choice for reservoir?

In addition I do not want it to become a hassle when I have to perform maintenance on my water cooling system so any advice in that department?

Next questions. How would you rate Enzotech products as I am looking at the Enzotech Sapphire CPU block for it's price and performance. In addition is the XSPC RX240 Extreme Performance Radiator a good or bad choice?

A while back I remember hearing that Swiftech water cooling products had leaking issues and as a result I steered away from them. What I am asking is how founded were those accusations?

Last edited:
OP
M

Madmann135

Registered
if you want a bay res keep the pump you changed to (ddc 3.25) and get the XSPC pump top bay res, link here.
http://www.jab-tech.com/Acrylic-Dual-5.25-Reservoir-for-Laing-DDC-BayRes-One-pr-4549.html

That dual tank res would only be half used by my system. Since XPC seems to be a better choice how about this XSPC Bay Reservoir 5.25" - Black instead of the previous one?

I may have jumped the gun with the pump I originally showed as this Danger Den DD-CPX-Pro 12V seems the better choice.

Spawn-Inc

the one i linked to is for 1 pump and the whole res is used. they do sell one with the option for 2 pumps and 2 separate loops.

OP
M

Madmann135

Registered
the one i linked to is for 1 pump and the whole res is used. they do sell one with the option for 2 pumps and 2 separate loops.

I see my mistake now, I confused the XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir for Dual Laing DDC for the XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir for Single Laing DDC.

Looking at My PC I would have to do a little drive rearranging in order to get the dual drive reservoir up to the highest point of my case but it can be done. The larger tank would be most useful.

My only problem now is when I have to perform the required maintenance. I am thinking that I will have to drain the reservoir first then the lines in order to perform the maintenance. ...But how to do so is what is bothering me now.

e6600

I see my mistake now, I confused the XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir for Dual Laing DDC for the XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir for Single Laing DDC.

Looking at My PC I would have to do a little drive rearranging in order to get the dual drive reservoir up to the highest point of my case but it can be done. The larger tank would be most useful.

My only problem now is when I have to perform the required maintenance. I am thinking that I will have to drain the reservoir first then the lines in order to perform the maintenance. ...But how to do so is what is bothering me now.

you can always get a tline and put it somewhere in your loop where its easy to empty

Conumdrum

Lots of us put a drain somehow in the loop. Off a T-fitting or off the res etc.

The res doesn't have to be above the rad, as long as the res is above the pump for filling, it's not a problem. Many put the res and pump at the bottom and have rads at the top of the case.

Leaking is always an issue, and being caused by a manufacturer defect is pretty much non-existant. Ever since I have been watercooling (2.5 years?) Swiftech has always had top notch stuff. The bock you chose is okay, but not the best, it is cheaper though.

A 120x2 rad isn't enough though. Take a look here at the wattage and Delta T of a 120x2 rad. It's a good rad too. You'll be at about 300 watts under load. You want a LOW DT if your plannimng to push your CPU, under 10C for sure, under 5C is more than you need.

http://martin.skinneelabs.com/SwiftechMCR220-Review.html

Conumdrum

Ohh maintenance is easy. You build and fill the loop, run it for 6 months, then easily drain the liquid out. Fill it, run it for a bit, then drain and refill. Mayb 2 hours of work. In 6 months you should tear it all out and redo the loop. So there isn't much maintenance really.

OP
M

Madmann135

Registered
OK, I placed the order a few days ago and my new hardware is predicted to some soon.

I have 2 scythe 1900RPM fans and a Scythe fan controller coming, going to use those two fans for the Rad. I intend to turn down those two fans to keep things quiet, and turn them up if I have heating issues.

My case is a Thermaltake Xaser VI. The Rad is going to be at the bottom of the case, where my two Scythes are at.

The abridged version of what is coming is as followed.
PrimoChill Liquid Utopia - Clear because it makes 1 gallon when added to Distilled water. Anyone know if this stuff is conductive when added to Distilled water?
XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir for Single Laing DDC
Danger Den DD-CPX-Pro 12V Pump
Swiftech MCW60™ REV. 2 Graphics Card Liquid Cooler - Retail
Enzotech Sapphire CPU Water Block Rev. A with "Micro-Pin Design"
XSPC RX240 Extreme Performance Radiator
Primochill Polypropylene "T" Fitting 1/2" - UV Blue
1/2" ID 3/4" OD Clear tubing.

My line considering the placement will be Res>T-Fitting>Pump>Rad>GPU Block>CPU Block>Res considering that will consist of the least amount of tubing and be a quick circle loop. If I add more I already have how I will line it planed. The pump and Rad will be at the bottom of my loop while the Res will be at the highest point.

Would any of you predict any problems I might have with my setup?

Spawn-Inc

that pump is not going to work with that res as i said above... you need an MCP350 or MCP355 pump for that res/top.

ditch the coolant, distilled water alone works best with some pt nuke or silver as a biocide.

and yes that fluid will become conductive over time as will distilled.

Conumdrum

We haven't seen any liquid better with a good biocide that is better than water.

PLEASE go to YouTube and look up 'Petra watercooling'. HIGHLY respected PC modder and retailer. Watch his vids.

I can buy distilled water at $1 a gallon and a bottle of biocide for $6. The biocide will last me for over 15 complete rebuilds of my loop. You? Bottle of snake oil times 15?

What are you paying for the special liquid? The price of the liquid only pays for the marketing hype, when it costs them under $2 to take distilled water and some questional additives to make something you don't need. Ohh and probably $.75 for the pretty bottle with a non-conductive label.

The pump res combo will NOT work. The res is for ONLY one type of pump, and your choice of pumps WILL NOT WORK.

OP
M

Madmann135

Registered
This is just great... Bound to be a few mess-up's... Thanks Murphy and my stubbornness.

Looks like I will have to send the Res back and get a different one or Set up a T-Line which I should be able to do.

For the time being I will send the Res back and work with a T-Line or go out and buy a res from a local store.

Last edited: