• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Serve the Home

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just a quick update, installed VMWare ESXi5.0 tonight, after trying unsuccessfully for hours to install 5.5, got to googling, sounds like an issue with the H700 and the 2950 combined, got it to work by unplugging the H700 letting it boot now and will see if that worked to solve the issue. After plugging the H700 back in and rebooting, it appears to be a no go unfortunately I'll have to take this back to the drawing board. VMWare ESXi5.0 should suffice for me I really don't know what the advantages are to running 5.5 other than it's the latest feature set. It's just weird, watched a guy running it on a 1850 which is quite a bit more antiquated than this beast to be honest but eh.

Ahh well, I can't say I haven't tried to make it work in anyway I could possibly envision.

Am I missing much being stuck @ 5.0?

J :cool:

Yes, that was what I used to get it to load 5.5 with the H700 unplugged however plugging it back in causes it to stop working :(

have you tried using the DELL pre made VMWare image?

i had an issue with my M620 blade servers, as they did not show any 10gig nics, this was the reason.

btw, nice setup, i'm jelly of your cab :)

i just have a cheap 4 post 12u rack thats stubby.

my equipment i have though is

2821 -- network router (HWIC-ADSL, and AIM-BP-VPN)
3750 24s-- non poe
3550 24T - poe
2621 router
3000 series MCS router
IAD 2431 t1/e1
1760 router (DSL Wic, 56k and Serial wics)

that was most of my setup. i used to have a cisco 4503 with Sup2 and a 1841 but i since used those in other areas, the 4503 is our secondary root bridge for our spanning tree at work :) and i'm toying with the IAD right now, playing with V6 and getting a BR setup at work as well!

Time for a Resurrection :sn:
AF1QipMuX6mGvu1fSJApJbRz98AYFWpG0wtlIuYBJtCp

So.. that 2950, I got it to run esxi6.. but then I started digging into freenas and came across this beauty called a Dell c2100. Dug around eBay, found one without PSU's and 48gb of ECC. Ordered it and swapped the CPUs out for low wattage hex cores. With my 6 3tb red's it's drawing 170 Watts... Working on getting the os up. Any of you freenas gurus have any advice? And a host for pictures these days? Lol

What's up guys???

Last edited:
Time for a Resurrection :sn:
AF1QipMuX6mGvu1fSJApJbRz98AYFWpG0wtlIuYBJtCp

So.. that 2950, I got it to run esxi6.. but then I started digging into freenas and came across this beauty called a Dell c2100. Dug around eBay, found one without PSU's and 48gb of ECC. Ordered it and swapped the CPUs out for low wattage hex cores. With my 6 3tb red's it's drawing 170 Watts... Working on getting the os up. Any of you freenas gurus have any advice? And a host for pictures these days? Lol

What's up guys???

For what's with worth I have a C2100 with 2x L5639s, 48GB DDR3 ECC and 10x 600GB 15K SAS drives. Mine runs Server 2012R2 with Hyper-V and SAN software though. I can answer any hardware questions you may have but I don't have experience with FreeNAS.

Attachments

• IMAG0423r.jpg
    IMAG0423r.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 107
For what's with worth I have a C2100 with 2x L5639s, 48GB DDR3 ECC and 10x 600GB 15K SAS drives. Mine runs Server 2012R2 with Hyper-V and SAN software though. I can answer any hardware questions you may have but I don't have experience with FreeNAS.
Know of a good spot to find rack rails ?

Unfortunately, no... mine was a local craigslist buy and it came with them. Best bet would probably be fleabay. Part number is 3YWX4 looks like you can get them for about $35 shipped
[FONT=&quot]3YWX4 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]3YWX4 [/FONT]

Unfortunately, no... mine was a local craigslist buy and it came with them. Best bet would probably be fleabay. Part number is 3YWX4 looks like you can get them for about $35 shipped
3YWX4 3YWX4
Thankfully the c2100 I bought for the power supplies came with the inner rails still attached so that's a bonus. I'll take a look at those, it's hard finding rails that work with my rack :( Just got the 4x1gb Intel NIC that came with it working in a port channel last night so it's sweet to look at 6gb of available bandwidth. Now to get the shares and everything else set up, and do a small little write up of installation of FreeNAS perhaps.

Rails installed and mounted up. Looking good, now to focus on getting it serving the home network.

Back