• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

server build questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weakssauce

Registered
Hey guys my current home media server is giving me some issues, i think the onboard raid controller is giving out on my arock motherboard so im looking for a raid card.

what do you guys think about the Adaptec 5805?

i need something that supports 8 drives larger than 4tb.

im currently running arch linux with zfs but considering going to windows server.

any input is greatly appreciated :attn:

*edit*
This server is used stream media for my home and for friends via kodi/plex and also downloading/unpacking via sab, sonnar ect

OP
W

weakssauce

Registered
after some research i think im going to try out unRAID and flash a dell H310 raid card to work with unRAID

any thoughts?

morshed

after some research i think im going to try out unRAID and flash a dell H310 raid card to work with unRAID
any thoughts?

My life experience tells me that software RAID is way better than cheap hardware RAID card.

ZFS is a great FS by the way and I have very good experience with it both on FreeNAS(FreeBSD) and with ZFS on Linux project.

If you tends to go Windows way you can use Windows software raid too