• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server CPU issues.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

synthetic_fenix

Risen From the Ashes
I just recently purchased an HP DL1000 4 node DL170H G6 server. I only plan to use two of the nodes as with all 4 one the fans are too loud. Both nodes run perfectly fine with the two XEON E5520 CPUs in each node. I decided I wanted to be a little more power efficient and get the L5630s and purchased 4 of them off Ebay as they are listed as compatible with the DL170H G6 servers. I installed two of the L5630s into the first node, tried to power it up and it fires up, fans spin up loud like normal but they never spool back down and it never comes up to the HP screen. I have tried scaling back to a single CPU, and various memory configurations and even pulled the Battery while the server was unplugged and got nothing. Does anyone have any other ideas that I could try, I would really like to use these CPUs but if they aren't going to work for me then I will just send them back.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
Try a BIOS or firmware update using the old CPUs to get you going. I have found that there are undocumented fixes that resolved an issue or two for me in the past. Also, make sure that you seated the new CPUs well and seated the HSF with proper thermal paste. Finally, remove all devices except what you need at a minimum to boot the machine as a baseline until you get it all sorted out.