• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anon1

Okay...I decided that for Christmas I am going to fix up one of my old computers, and set up a Gentoo Server on it. I want to program a website for my Dad, but I was wondering what type of information I should put on it, and which languages y'all think I should use for each specified part. Just for the record, it is an Electrical Company. If you guys and gals can help me with this, I would be very appreciative. :)

Gnufsh

You could start out with just basic company info in straight HTML. If you want to get more complicated, I recommend php and mysql. You also might want to use php and set it up to use gzip compression on all your pages to reduce bandwidth useage.

ps2cho

Go with whatever language you feel most comftable using. If you only know HTML, then just create the page like that. If you know PHP, go with that.

Goodluck

OP
A

anon1

I know HTML, and I started learning PHP last night from an eBook I have. What exactly should I put on the site itself though? What appeals to people the most, and what information should I put about the business?

Mr.Guvernment

well

it is an electrical company correct?

your dads work
work he has planned
advice colums perhaps for the DIY (do it yourself people)

pictures are always good...

really it is hard to draw attention to anyweb site these days cause to be honest it has been done a million times already by someone else.