• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seti farm power solution IDEA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elec999

I was thinking for a bit. And I came up with a stupid idea. What happens if I was to get some sort of solars cells, to power up my farm, instead of outlet power. I would need solar cell powerfull need enough to produce at least 60A, 2000w at least or 5000w. I would possible require some batteires to be charged when the sun is out. Or I could tell me farm of the sun the, lets say 8hours from sun, 8hours of outlet, and 8hours of sleep. I think 16/24hours per day should be good enough, till I find a way to run complety of the sun power, and sun charged batteries. Anyone know any information, affordable solutions. Any addons or you can tell me how stupid this idea is.
Thanks

Tyrinon

An interesting idea, but it sounds expensive... batteries, inverters, the solar panels themselves, etc...

Now I'm curious. :) I'm off to Google stuff up!

OP
E

elec999

I have been on ebay, but all the solar cells I found, are simply to quick in power output. On google I have found sites, but most are wanting me to get someone to install. Someone told me it would cost 20k or more. But that can power a whole house, including batteries, and everything. This would be a future plan. Right now a simple setup I can do my self. Like 2000w should power a few boxes, that run diskless. Batteries, consider most car batteries are cheap now adays, 60Ax12V each, about 720wats of battery, if I get like 4 to 5 batteries might be fine. But the problem is, would the batteries last long enough. Will they charge fast enough, during the winter the sun is out for less time, therefore I will need to depend on batteries alot more. I could get 2 sets of 4 batteries in parralel in case one set discharges, the other kicks in. Not sure what kind of circuit I would need to help detect battery discharge and allow outlet or other set of batteries to kick in before the computers run out of power. If this is possible Im not sure. It may be cheaper to charge batteries using outlets, instead of running computers 24/7 on outlets. Ill have to see, Im also not sure, whats inportant in electrical setups, I know ohms law, Volts*Current=Power in watts. Thereby, I am guessing a output of 720w can power around 2x350watts computers power supplys, considering the computers is not always using 350watts. The cpus are also inportant, cannot use prescotts which use 120watts of power. AMD mobile might be a good choice. The new amd geodes at 1.6gig and 14watts might be excellent, even better if they perform like 1.6 amd desktop cpu, and some overclocking is possible. I could have the seti terminal server run complety of outlet, with a ups for power failures, drives in raid. The server could be a old one to use less power. (It could cost to much to include ups for each pc in the farm, keepings the pcs alive till the batteries or outlet kicks in). Also 24hours per day of seti is not required. It will be inportant to use effective pc, instead of using 10, p3 pcs making 50works units in a days (im stressing it), it might be better to use 3 amd setups or faster intel setups, producing the same amount of wu or more in the same time (these are not actual stats, just examples).

Edit1: Fixed some spelling mistakes, I make mistakes, since english is not my first language.
Edit2: Where can I find 128meg of ddram and whats the best all in one motherboard with video and lan onboard, at a good price, and some overclocking. The farm is not as inportant at the moment. So point of the farm, if no power solution is available.

Last edited:

Tyrinon

Ouch! Some of those prices are pretty high! There are sites out there that tell you how to build the cells and inverters so you can save a few bucks. It would still be quite an investment (prob $500-1500 or so...) depending on the power you are looking for. If you are handy with tools or whatever, that may be an option.

lol If nothing else this gives me something to think about! Anyone else have suggestions?

OP
E

elec999

Tyrinon said:
Ouch! Some of those prices are pretty high! There are sites out there that tell you how to build the cells and inverters so you can save a few bucks. It would still be quite an investment (prob $500-1500 or so...) depending on the power you are looking for. If you are handy with tools or whatever, that may be an option.

lol If nothing else this gives me something to think about! Anyone else have suggestions?
Could find any of the sites that tell you how to custom build. Can you please list.

Tyrinon

You can use google.com to find this info. As a starter, in the google search box type "how to build solar cells" (with out the quotes). Some sites will try to sell you plans for building cells and others give you instructions on their website how to do it for free (the later sites are what I looked at). Then you can do searches on how to build inverters and just about anything else that interests you. :) Good luck!

OP
E

elec999

It doesnt look like I can build solar cells strong enough to power up my farm :(. Dang I will need to wait some time and upgrade my whole house to solar, I wish there was company that offered me a simple solution the can power my farm, not the whole house.

uthungover

Registered
How about a wind mill? I saw some small ones for home use in a cataloge but I can't remember where. I think they are alot cheaper than solar cells.

Last edited:

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Charging batteries off your home ac is not worth it imo. You're just storing it for later, and you're going to waste a lot of energy in the charging and converting process. Solar cell setups are still a very expensive investment up front, and I haven't seen many small packages. The wind mill idea might be worth futher investigation if you live in a good location for it. Even a small scale water power setup could be feasible if you have the right conditions for it.

Dk Jedi Allianc

Denmark have one of the biggest windmill company in the world. They have some bochure DL on their HP. Avalible in english here

Dont know anything about it. Just digged out the link ;)

If translation is needed drop a word - I will see what I can do:)

Quailane

Get a power converter or build your own to take outlet power and turn it into the same voltage that the solar cell array is putting out, would be easiest if it was set up at 220V DC, so the power supplies can feed off of it. Connect the cells and power converter outlet so that the outlet gives power when the array is not giving enough power, which will be all the time unless you plan to spend a bazillion dollars on solar cells. All the power given by the solar cells will be used, with the outlet filling in the gaps. The power from the solar cells will be very efficient because the power supplies do not need to convert the AC to DC, but when I think about it, that is one of the most efficient steps in the psu already. It is changing the voltages that is tough. If you want ultra-efficiency, you could have sets of solar cells giving off the right voltage for the computer lines, 5 3.3 and 12. Would be very dangerous if cells created a surplus.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
Solar and wind are not near effecient enough on a small scale. In years past I have done a bit of research on this matter. While I have not looked into the idea of renewable resources in a few years, I do know that the techs have not progressed much since the '70's. These techs are only good enough to 'curb' reliance on the power grid, not replace it. It's a good idea and all just not feasible yet on the scale that you are looking at.

The batteries also add a huge cost. Plus, the lead acid battereis usually used for this don't last forever as we all know (think car battery). An idea to store power is to have a box with a flywheel inside. The flywheel would be spun by a motor/generator (more on the generator shortly). When the sun (or wind) is producing electric, the motor/generator spins the flywheel in the box. When you need power, you draw it from the sun/wind. If there is no power there, the motor becomes a generator. The flywheel spins the motor/generator to produce power. None of this has worked on a larger scale.

I'm full of more stuff (you deciede what 'stuff' I'm full of) but I'll leave it here.

DKarn

Registered
[22:46] <k|DKarn> the guy who had the idea of running his seti pcs off solar/wind/water power is cool
[22:46] <RyanJ> cool but imparactical
[22:48] <k|DKarn> my idea would be to have some cheap renewable animal power it
[22:48] <k|DKarn> gerbils or rabbits being forced to run or something
[22:49] <k|DKarn> we found the aliens!
[22:49] <k|DKarn> 1,000,000 gerbils paid the high price
[22:49] <k|DKarn> 8)
[22:49] <RyanJ> lol
[22:49] <RyanJ> im not saving u from peta!
[22:50] <k|DKarn> wilson?
[22:50] <k|DKarn> bring her on!
[22:50] <RyanJ> something like that
[22:51] <k|DKarn> i'll offer all my machines crunching power for 30 days on an auction on ebay
[22:51] <RyanJ> lol
[22:51] <k|DKarn> whoever wins the high bid i'll cruch for
[22:53] <k|DKarn> might sell for 0.99 if i got lucky
[22:53] <k|DKarn> shipping would be a month of my cable internet bill PAID
[22:53] <k|DKarn> a small fortune
[22:55] <RyanJ> electric bill?
[22:55] <k|DKarn> good point!
[22:56] <k|DKarn> guess we will just have to let Kerry & Edwards find the aliens for us then ... :bang head