• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seti@Home Beta on ATI GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingless

Link to Advanced client downloads:http://lunatics.kwsn.net/index.php?module=Downloads

Late last night, as I was waiting for my time zone to cross over into 2010, I started messing with Seti@Home's Beta project on BOINC. I have no idea what modifications I need to make for my app_info.xml file. My Seti@Home Beta GPU clients says "Running (0.43 CPUs + 1.00 ATI GPUs)" but my GPU is at 0% activity. It actually ONLY runs on the CPU and uses no GPU. I just need some guidance getting Seti@Home working on the GPU like it does for Collatz Conjecture.

Guide explaining proper installation:http://lunatics.kwsn.net/12-gpu-crunching/cpu-ati-gpu-hybrid-astropulse-for-windows-released.0.html

Screenshot:
BOINC.jpg

app_info.xml:
Code:
<app_info>
 <app>
 <name>milkyway</name>
 </app>
 <file_info>
  <name>astronomy_0.20b_ATI_x64_amd.exe</name>
  <executable/>
 </file_info>
 <file_info>
  <name>brook64.dll</name>
  <executable/>
 </file_info>

<app_version>
  <app_name>milkyway</app_name>
  <version_num>20</version_num>
    <flops>1.0e11</flops>
    <avg_ncpus>0.05</avg_ncpus>
    <max_ncpus>1</max_ncpus>
    <coproc>
      <type>ATI</type>
      <count>1</count>
    </coproc>
    <cmdline></cmdline>
  <file_ref>
   <file_name>astronomy_0.20b_ATI_x64_amd.exe</file_name>
   <main_program/>
  </file_ref>
  <file_ref>
   <file_name>brook64.dll</file_name>
  </file_ref>
 </app_version>
<app>
		<name>astropulse_v505</name>
	</app>
	<file_info>
        	<name>ap_5.05_win_x86_SSE3_BROOK_r280.exe</name>
        	<executable/>
    	</file_info>
    	<app_version>
        	<app_name>astropulse_v505</app_name>
        	<version_num>505</version_num>
		<avg_ncpus>0.1</avg_ncpus>
		<max_ncpus>1</max_ncpus>
	<coproc>
	<type>ATI</type>
	<count>0.01</count>
	</coproc>
	       	<file_ref>
            		<file_name>ap_5.05_win_x86_SSE3_BROOK_r280.exe</file_name>
            		<main_program/>                           
        	</file_ref>
    	</app_version>

</app_info>

Hmm. I'm somewhat confused - are you trying to run non-AP work (i.e multibeam) on your ATI GPU? If so, no one has written a client for that - we only have the Hybrid CPU/GPU AP (astropulse) application.

If you are referring to the AstroPulse work that you're crunching at the moment, your app_info.xml file is set up correctly. The reason that you're not seeing your GPU do much work on the AP units is because only the FFA (Fast Folding Algorithm) is actually processed on the GPU, the rest is done on the CPU. FFA is used in detection of pulsars, which accounts for something like 20% of the time that the AP unit is being crunched - so only ~20% of the time, the GPU is processing the work unit.

If you're talking about how to get the SETI@home Enhanced 6.03 stuff running on your GPU, then.. well, unless you've heard something that we haven't (here's hoping!), it just can't be done at the moment :(

The reason for this is that there simply aren't enough people who know the ATI API enough to write a fully fledged MB client :( In fact, the main reason we have an nVidia client is because nVidia themselves wrote the client in collaboration with the SETI guys..

If I'm missing your question though, I apologise - let me know and I'll try re-answer it :)

Crunch on!

Well you answered my question. I only saw my CPU doing what I thought my GPU should be doing. I'm glad to know that is NORMAL. It would seem I have everything setup correctly which makes me happy. Thank you for the answer!

Back