• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETIQueue Server Outtage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

B-Dogg

Registered
Hey guys, if some of you haven't noticed my SETIQueue server was down today for approximately 5-6 hours(best guess). I have the server program running on startup when I log into the server, however, today someone needed to change the IP Address of the server (don't worry, you wont see any change) and when it rebooted they didnt log back in.

To prevent this from happening again I need to get the SETIQueue program running as a service so that it does not matter whether anyone is logged in or not. I haven't have time to check into it yet, but hope to have this done before the weekend. If anyone has done this on a Windows 2000 server and wants to spare me the trouble of looking, I'd love if you'd reply to this post. :)

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
same here.

i would like to know how to set Queue server as a service in XP Pro too. so, whenever the machine is on, the Queue server is running.

btw, when u mean service, what exactly difference it is when compare to short cut it into startup folder. is it more like a stealth mode....??

dru

Registered
As I understand it, an application running as a service will start as soon as Windows loads, even if no user logs into Windows, whereas an application running from the "startup" folder will only run once that user (or any user, if in "All Users") has logged in. If my understanding is incorrect, hopefully one of our gurus will guide me back onto the true path.....;)

I have the seti client set to run as a service on my Win2K machine, but haven't tried setting up Setique this way, as my Setique server is an NT box, and I had some real stability problems when I tried to get the client to run as a service under NT. I was using the info from here http://setifaq.org/faq.html#2.10

Going to do some more research on this myself.. has been on my list of things to do for a while....

Dave