• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting brightness and contrast

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

K15

I was just browsing for CRT monitors to buy and found this

http://www.poynton.com/notes/brightness_and_contrast/

Near the bottom explains how to set brightness and contrast. Basically, you set contrast to zero, then put brightness to zero and bring brightness up just to where true black starts turning grey. What I did was put the "blank" screen saver on and then clicked preview. This gives you what should be a true black screen. To test, preview the "blank" screen saver, then turn the monitor off. There should be NO change in the color of the screen. If there is, brightness is too high and is making black parts of the screen grey. Like it says, brightness should be set at the threashold of black.
Then just set contrast however, I set mine at 100% because in order to get true black, I had to set brightness at 40%.
With the correct settings, contrast (actual contrast) is WAY better.
I had no idea you could have "wrong" settings.
You know brightness is set right when you have the "blank" screen saver on and can turn the monitor on and off without being able to tell the difference.
Not sure how this stuff works with LCDs though.

Edit, I tried the same thing with an LCD screen, it is impossible to get true black on them. With brightness, backlight and contrast on near-zero, the screen is still quite grey.
If you want incredible contrast, you need a CRT.