• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting Password's for Individual folders?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bdf24

Can you set passwords for individual folders in Win XP? Say if I have a folder I would'nt wan't the kids to get access to without having to setup a seperate user. If so how do you go about doing it? I'm not to sharp on all the security feature's of XP yet.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
Oo, better idea!!

You could also use Encrypting File System. Encrypt the folder on your user account, that way, anybody trying to access it w/o your specific SID (Security Identifier) will be denied access. Only available on NTFS partitions, however. Same w/ the one above.

OP
B

bdf24

Oni said:
Go into the security properties, and add your kids' user account, and deny it access. Voila!

I would like to do it without setting up another account for the kids. The PC is alway's on. I'd rather not have to have them switch accounts to have to use it. I will give the Encrypting File System a try once.

Thanks.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
bdf24 said:

I would like to do it without setting up another account for the kids. The PC is alway's on. I'd rather not have to have them switch accounts to have to use it. I will give the Encrypting File System a try once.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, EFS won't work if you just use the Administrator account for everybody. If you use EFS w/ the admin account, then your kids use the same account, they'll have access, because they'll have your SID. I'd just set up another account for them. It'd only take a couple of minutes, and it'll keep them out of your stuff.

Hugo 59

bdf24 one of the nice things about xp is that when you logoff you can just hit switch user and it will leave any programs that you have running, running and your desktop will be just like you left it. This also gives you the added benefit of the kids not being able to screw anything up because they were logged in as administrator.

The kids can have there own desktop setup with just the things that you want them to be able to use and switching back to your desktop is as easy as hitting switch user and logging back on.

Sorry if you knew all this I just think it's a great feature.

OP
B

bdf24

Oni said:
Unfortunately, EFS won't work if you just use the Administrator account for everybody. If you use EFS w/ the admin account, then your kids use the same account, they'll have access, because they'll have your SID. I'd just set up another account for them. It'd only take a couple of minutes, and it'll keep them out of your stuff.
Yeah I noticed that. I know it'll only take a few minutes to set up another account. But I thought It would be easier to just all use the same one, and just have password's for the folder's I don't want them to use.

Hugo 59 said:
bdf24 one of the nice things about xp is that when you logoff you can just hit switch user and it will leave any programs that you have running, running and your desktop will be just like you left it. This also gives you the added benefit of the kids not being able to screw anything up because they were logged in as administrator.

The kids can have there own desktop setup with just the things that you want them to be able to use and switching back to your desktop is as easy as hitting switch user and logging back on.

Sorry if you knew all this I just think it's a great feature.
I did find that out while playing around. I think that's the route I'm going to take. Thank's to both of you for your help.