• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up a cluster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nightingale

(probably not in the right section so sry for the trouble if it is) Ok I now have an extra 550mhz computer with no hdd and I was wondering if there is anyway to network it with my main opteron rig so I can use it as a computational node. Not sure if this is completely possible without the node having its own hdd but I thought I would ask here anyhow. Thanks in advance. The other thing is I want to still be able to use XP pro on my main rig as the main OS while using the extra node. I am not sure if this is possible to do this short of making my main rig running dual boot and using linux.

Last edited:

nealric

look at beowulf.org (beowulf is the linux cluster software)

Im more or less 100% sure you will need linux on both.
I also dont think it would really be all that helpful to have a 550mhz computer tacked onto the opteron. It would at 10-20% at most.

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Well I figured I would dabble with it so if I get the chance I can grab up more old systems and expand.