• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up a DNS record correctly for wedding website...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MLMIB

so I'm setting up a website for my wedding, and I got the domain (michaelandcrystalgetmarried.com) but I'm having problems.

the website right now works correctly, but only if you type in the www, as in

www.michaelandcrystalgetmarried.com

however if you forget the www (like I do most of the times now) it points to the godaddy domain parking thing. how do I fix it so even if they don't type in www it goes to my actual website. I know what I did for www I just don't know what type of "host" setting I need to make in the godaddy Dns control panel to make it happen.

many thanks

PLOBBY

Have the default record (A record) be the ip address then have a CNAME be the www address pointing back to the default A record.

On the server itself, you are going to have to setup in your virtual host file or wherever the sites are resolved and make sure you have one setup for www....com and ...com -- technically they are two different sites if not setup like this.

Are you running apache or iis?

enkrypt3d

Registered
Its easy just setup 2 A records.... one for the www and one without the www pointing to the same IP. simple.

enkrypt3d

Registered
Have the default record (A record) be the ip address then have a CNAME be the www address pointing back to the default A record.

On the server itself, you are going to have to setup in your virtual host file or wherever the sites are resolved and make sure you have one setup for www....com and ...com -- technically they are two different sites if not setup like this.

Are you running apache or iis?

no you dont have to setup virtual hosts if you are only running one site...

PLOBBY

no you dont have to setup virtual hosts if you are only running one site...

I never said he had to, simply saying wherever the records are located on his server whether it be in a virtual host file or in his http.conf file or IIS.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
In goDaddy under the DNS management part you will see at least one entry and that is the www and it point to the address you specify. in order to not require the www add another entry for @ with the same ip address. This should direct all traffic, regardless of what a user types before the period to the ip address you specify.

give me a few min and ill post a screenshot for an example.

Godaddy.jpg

Ok so you create an A record for @ with the ip address of your site, then create a CNAME for www and point it to @ and you are done. enjoy :)

*edit* and just ignore the rest of the crap godaddy puts in there, its all defaults.

Last edited:
OP
M

MLMIB

hmm, so godaddy won't let me point to a web address like google sites wants and google sites seems to be providing little in the way of measurable help, any advice?

thanks for the help so far, it's been encouraging.

splat

ASCII Moderator
this is exactly how you do it. it is similar to how you redirect for a google site but not the same. (google site you modify the www cname, but to redirect to your server, you modify the host @ to point to your ip address, as shown) I know this works because I am doing the exact same thing.

edit: furthermore, the @ must point to an IP, while the CNAMES can point to pretty much any url.

In goDaddy under the DNS management part you will see at least one entry and that is the www and it point to the address you specify. in order to not require the www add another entry for @ with the same ip address. This should direct all traffic, regardless of what a user types before the period to the ip address you specify.

give me a few min and ill post a screenshot for an example.

Godaddy.jpg

Ok so you create an A record for @ with the ip address of your site, then create a CNAME for www and point it to @ and you are done. enjoy :)

*edit* and just ignore the rest of the crap godaddy puts in there, its all defaults.

Last edited: