• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up BOINC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wannaoc

Ok since it seems that SETI classic is having some issues so I'm taking this time to move to BOINC. My problem is everything seems to be disabled, I can't join the o/c.com BOINC team because thats disabled. I can't get a work unit because I can't find any info on how to set anything up and quite franlky I'm getting a little ****ed about the down time.

I have set BOINC attached to project http://setiathome.berkeley.edu and I put in my account ID I was given when I joined the BOINC Seti site. Ok so it attaches to it and starts to work or so I thought but now its just sitting there letting my CPU idle. I have BOINC View working with it I guess but it shows the same nothing that BOINC shows. So now what? My CPU is getting cold not having anything to do here.

EDIT:

I tried an update via BOINC console and these are the last two lines on the message tab:

SETI@home - 2004-07-19 14:45:58 - No work from project
SETI@home - 2004-07-19 14:45:58 - Deferring communication with project for 1 hours, 0 minutes, and 0 seconds

What!!! No work. You're obviously new to the boinc Seti project. It's been a mess from day one. We had a spat of consistent WU supply for a while, but I havn't recieved any since early yesterday and 2/3 of my PCs are out. No real choice though as I want to support them and I hear that Seti1 will be over real soon. Just gotta hang in there and hope they get their crap together. I attached to Predictor as well so that my PC will at least do something in the downtime.

I was in exactly the same situation yesterday- couldn't get any work form Classic on one rig so I switched it to boinc.
Got home today to find boinc stopped....fortunately, seti classic seems ok again now.

I am afraid I just don't have the patience to wait. :D

Figures I finally convince myself to switch to BOINC and classic works and it doesn't. But since it says no work that means its at least a problem on their side right?

Looks like it to me- there are other posts around about boinc problems, and I guess there have been a few since start-up....

I'm sure they'll get it straight, I just don't have any patience. ;)

Yes - the BOINC servers are often down daily - when they are back boinc will connect and get some WU - be sure to set your cache to get enough for for 4-5 days worth.

The daily news reports on their web site pretty well sum it up:

July 19, 2004
Sometime between 5pm and 12am PDT, the splitters seem to have stopped producing new workunits. We have restarted the splitters and they are back to creating new workunits.

July 17, 2004
A server bug was preventing new results from being created in response to failed results. If 2 out of 3 results for a WU succeeded and the 3rd failed, the 2 successful results would not be validated or credited. This is now fixed and the system will issue new results for all workunits in this state.

July 13, 2004
Our database server hung and had to be forcibly terminated. It took several hours to check all the tables and indices. Then we ran into problems with our Network Attached Storage device, which we rebooted for the first time in 18 months. Additional outages may occur throughout the night and possibly tomorrow.

Too add to TC's post (this was added to the site recently)

July 19, 2004
We have brought up an additional transitioner to try and cut through the backlog we have accrued. Since the beginning of the project we have already processed 2.7 million results. For comparison, the beta project had only processed 6 million through the whole life of that project to date.

Where do I set the cache in BOINC? I didn't think there was one and I still haven't figured out how to join the BOINC team. It still shows me with no team.

Got it, all setup for 4 and 5 days. Thanks. Now how do I get on the team? I was already on it for classic and I assume I need to rejoin since it shows I'm not on a team.

Kind of figured that much out but I get this: "Team lookup disabled". :(

From the BOINC View page:
The newest way for BoincView to get informations from a client, is to use GUI RPC calls. No additional network configurations like shared folders are necessary. You just need to allow the BOINC clients to enable remote access.
To allow remote access, the client has a command line switch called "-allow_remote_gui_rpc". You only need to setup the client to start with this parameter.

Say what? Where do I set this up at I need to see all my computers.

Last edited:
You need to edit the shortcut properties for boinc to allow remote procedure calls. Go to start, programs (all programs for XP) boinc, right-click on boinc and select properties. In the target box append the path line so it reads like so:
"C:\Program Files\BOINC\boinc_gui.exe" -allow_remote_gui_rpc -return_results_immediately Click okay when done and restart the client, done.

Back