• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up security cameras and running cables

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

So there is a person i will be setting up security cameras for today. I have had previous exeperience, but this one is different then from what i did before.

Cameras are Lorex LNR6100 will be using POE method to connect to the NVR. NVR will be setup in the laundry room. Cable i will be using is Shireen DC1021.

the under eave is about 10+ feet high from the ground up and another part of the patio is a bit raised so that makes it about 8 feet.

They have no access to an attic at all. No vents or small attic doors. So my questions are

1. Should i just run the cables bare along the back of the under eave and paint the cables to make them blend in? Like the part where it meets the wall of the house. Or should i conceal it with pipe conduit?

2. For now i am running only two cameras so that is two lines through the same hole using a dual wire wall bushing. I would like to be able to run more through the same hole though and i was thinking of using conduit pipe through the brick wall that leads to the laundry room.

Here is a picture to show you where one of the cameras will go. They will also be going to similar spots. I will make sure that the fascia board does not obstruct the top video view of the camera.
20190525_084940.jpg

EDIT: I forgot to add that the reason why she wanted to get security cameras setup is because there are kids throwing rocks at her house.

Last edited:
I'd have those questions answered before I said yes to so it. :)

What is the client's preference?

NEVER MIND! i figured it out with some help from my boss at the small company i work for.

He said not to worry about protecting the lines BUT it is a good idea to paint them. So i ran them bare and told my customer to paint them when she can.

I ran a pipe that went through a hole in the..."bird board?" and had it comes out the ceiling on the other side. i stuffed some bags in the pipe and around it.

Then i ran an ethernet line and then a camera and then an ethernet and then a camera and then a line and then a camera...you get the idea :D

Customer really likes it. We also got it setup with a secure password of her choice so she can remote into it.

Attachments

• 20190526_152850.jpg
    20190526_152850.jpg
    975.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 20190526_171648.jpg
    20190526_171648.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 158
  • 20190526_183946.jpg
    20190526_183946.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 158
Hopefully you sealed the #!$% out of that pipe after finishing? If not, all kinds of bugs and spiders are going to be appearing in that room.

All i did was stuff a large plastic bag in the hole and then another one in the pipe.

I am pretty sure noting is gonna get through.

Hopefully you sealed the #!$% out of that pipe after finishing? If not, all kinds of bugs and spiders are going to be appearing in that room.

More than that, I suspected deer mice trespassing in the basement, back over at my first downtown-Springfield home, because of cameras the landlord installed or had installed. I swore I heard what sounded like something the size of deer mouse feet coming from a wall void around me, when in my bed one night in late-2015 and/or early-2016, IIRC. I saw gaps around the conduit that directs the wiring through the foundation, and that was next to my bedroom!

The nights with those sounds are what I expect the Spanish-speakers to call, "malo noches".

Last edited:
Back