• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up web server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Commander_Kang

Speedy Dragon
I would like some help in setting up a web server on one of my computers.I don't even know were to begin setting up one since I tend to steer clear of anything related to html.Now how ever I need the info on how to set up one.Any feed back will be most appreciated!

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
Well, what OS are you running, and what will your server be doing? Will it be Static IP or Dynamic IP?

If you're just running a small personal server, and running Win2k, you should look into IIS. I use it, and it's pretty good. A blind, epileptic monkey with a hangover could set it up and configure it.

If you need something a little more robust, you might want to go with Apache web server. I've heard it's very good, and quite feature-rich.

Ghastard

If all you're looking for is a simple server, then apache is a breeze to install, and it isn't filled with security holes like IIS. Just download it for windows, install it, and under the start menu there should be an entry to add apache as a service. This will make it start when the computer boots.

The default folder to put your web page files in is the "htdocs" folder in the folder you installed apache.

Hope this helps.

OP
Commander_Kang

Commander_Kang

Speedy Dragon
Ok if this works I should be able to host a image
http://66.167.146.18/test/p.jpg
p.jpg

Last edited:

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
sm0x said:
Don't run IIS. It's filled with security holes. Look Here to see.

Whoop-de-friggin'-do. :rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong w/ IIS so long as you configure it correctly, and monitor it. No matter what server software you run, you should be doing that.

sm0x

Oni said:

Whoop-de-friggin'-do. :rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong w/ IIS so long as you configure it correctly, and monitor it. No matter what server software you run, you should be doing that.

By default IIS has more holes than Apache. Sure, you can patch it up and monitor it, but will that stop somebody from finding a new way to exploit your install of IIS? Certainly not. This can also happen with Apache as with any other software but why not deal with something thats more secure by nature and not have to worry about getting owned?

Doc_Skurlock

Oni said:

If you're just running a small personal server, and running Win2k, you should look into IIS. I use it, and it's pretty good. A blind, epileptic monkey with a hangover could set it up and configure it.

My mom has epilepsy. She can figure sh** out. I figure if a million monkeys typing on a million typewriters could write all the works of shakespeare or whatever the saying is, someone could figure out the install of this stuff. Also, I'm sure both server apps have their pro's and con's. Besides, if one runs a server, one should check it constantly to make sure someone has sircammed em. Just my $.02.
Doc