• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Several PC Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZaKK2002

I was told by a friend to come here, seems like you guys know your stuff :)

First of all, my computer freezes fairly frequently when I play online games. Normally I would think upgrading was the answer, but I played the same games on a comp which was 400mhz, 64MB ram, and had an 8mb vid card (I have 1.4ghz, 128ram, 16mb card now). I was told that it could be a problem with my modem. Is that true or is it something else? Just so you know, the sys requirements for the game I play is 166mhz, 64MB Ram, 8MB vid card.

Anyway, since it makes my comp freeze, I have to hit the restart button on the comp (which I know isn't good for it). I think that caused the following problem, massive amounts of explorer and IE errors (corrupted the files?). Explorer and IE crash about 1/3 of the time I start my computer. I just downloaded an update, so the problem may be solved. Explorer hasn't crashed this time. Again, since it only crashed 1/3 of the time, I won't know until I use the comp for a few more days.

I cannot complete Scandisk or Defrag. I have no other programs running when I start, but both programs usually end up restarting every 10 seconds. Once I recieved a message stating that the possible problem was that a Disk Utility program was interfering with Scandisk, although I haven't recieved that message again. A friend told me it may be a Fat32 problem. However I don't know that for sure, and I don't know how to fix it if that is indeed the problem. I'm fairly computer illiterate.

I use the MSN Gaming Zone, which runs on Java. Except for once or twice, the Zone hasn't had any Java related problems for me. However, at geocities, launching a certain program requires Java (can't see the link for it unless Java works). Unfortunately, I can't see the link (although I could about 2 months ago). I downloaded Java and reinstalled it, that didn't help.

Just so you know, my OS is Win98.

I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. Since I had so many problems I wasn't sure where to post the message.

WELCOME :D

most here are very knowledgeable, and we should be able to fix your problems :)

first thing that pops in my mind is, did you do a fresh format/install of 98 after you upgraded? your problems sound like a bad OS install to me...

i also agree with Chambers...since you have done the upgrade i would just FDISK the drive and reinstall all...the java issue could be that the new .net that microsoft is using doesn't support Java..."just assuming because I can't get mp3s of of SimpleMP3s.com that runs uses a java applet." this problem occured after i installed the service pack for XP

but diskkeeper is something that can help defragg your drive...

antoher thing to try is boot in safe mode and run scandisk to see if you have any bad sectors on your harddrive.. do this before you decide to reformat the drive

AMD'er said:
i also agree with Chambers...since you have done the upgrade i would just FDISK the drive and reinstall all...

He might need to run
Format C:
to wipe it

Where's no need to remove the partition unless he has a couple dozen bad clusters.

Back