• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Several random questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stiletto

What is POSTing? and how do you know when it occurs? Saw in my mobo manual that is power on self test, but is it visible or audible only? I cant get anything to my monitor atm, so hoping it is visible.

Any way to identify mobos by simply looking at them? I am thinking it is an AZZA 366A-AV, manual didn't mention AZZA though. I didnt even find azza with a search, although tomshardware mentioned it was a pretty blah board.

The manual says it is for amd athlon, athlon xp, and duron cpus. This means it can take ANY of these at ANY speed? What about bartons?

What exactly do mobos do? From reading, it seems like they mainly have to do with part compatibility, and how well you can overclock other components.

The board says it only goes up to 4x AGP, so 8x AGP cards can only run at half of whatever AGP is, or not at all?

And what does OEM stand for?

All for now, thanks.

TheNamelessOne

The Power On Self Test is the first screen you see when you turn on your computer. The BIOS checks all the computer parts to make sure they are working right and if they are you will hear one beep to signify all is well and the operating system is then loaded. What the mobo does is connect all the parts together and has data pathways called buses so the data can travel from cpu to memory, to graphics card, etc. I'm pretty sure it will be able to take all those cpus including the barton since they are all socket A but I'm not sure if it will recognize the bartons correctly. Not sure about the rest of your questions. Oh, and Welcome To The Forums

deeppow

Stiletto said:
What is POSTing? and how do you know when it occurs? Saw in my mobo manual that is power on self test, but is it visible or audible only? I cant get anything to my monitor atm, so hoping it is visible.

Any way to identify mobos by simply looking at them? I am thinking it is an AZZA 366A-AV, manual didn't mention AZZA though. I didnt even find azza with a search, although tomshardware mentioned it was a pretty blah board.

The manual says it is for amd athlon, athlon xp, and duron cpus. This means it can take ANY of these at ANY speed? What about bartons?

What exactly do mobos do? From reading, it seems like they mainly have to do with part compatibility, and how well you can overclock other components.

The board says it only goes up to 4x AGP, so 8x AGP cards can only run at half of whatever AGP is, or not at all?

And what does OEM stand for?

All for now, thanks.

Posting - having completed the self checks that the bios do and deciding "all is well"

Usually mobos have enough labels or tags to figure them out. Manuals are more generic where one manual may be used with more than one mobo.

Any speed for the processor noted. Bartons are new enough that some mobos won't take them.

If the CPU is the brain, the mobo is the body. The mobo connects all the parts together so the body analogy isn't that great. As TheNamelessOne noted, it provides the pathways for the communication but it also controls and coordinates the communications.

AGP, the graphics processor (I'm not sure what the A stands for) and its rate.

OEM - original equipment manufacture (for example Dell, HP etc.)

DDR-PIII

Disabled
Re: Re: Several random questions

deeppow said:

Posting - having completed the self checks that the bios do and deciding "all is well"

Usually mobos have enough labels or tags to figure them out. Manuals are more generic where one manual may be used with more than one mobo.

Any speed for the processor noted. Bartons are new enough that some mobos won't take them.

If the CPU is the brain, the mobo is the body. The mobo connects all the parts together so the body analogy isn't that great. As TheNamelessOne noted, it provides the pathways for the communication but it also controls and coordinates the communications.

AGP, the graphics processor (I'm not sure what the A stands for) and its rate.

OEM - original equipment manufacture (for example Dell, HP etc.)

AGP = Accelerated Graphics Port ?