• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SFF A64 system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chittnp

Im thinking of building an SFF (mATX) athlon 64 system, and I was wondering if I would be better off going with a DTR chip, mobile, or desktop? The only mATX boards I've been able to find so far are (on newegg at least) use either the Via K8T800, nForce 3 150, or the SiS 760. Is there a real difference between DTR and mobile chips? should I go with a newcastle or clawhammer core? Im going to overclock, so I was thinking the 1 MB cache would be better. also, this isnt going into a shuttle type case, its going into an inwin slim mATX case, so I would like to pick the chip thats going to be easiest to cool. Let me know your suggestions

I love my shuttle, but I can recomend against the 2800+ newcastle. It doesnt overclock very well. If you want a good overclocker, the 3200+ clawhammer is a safe bet, even if you dont know the stepping. What kind of room do you have for heatsinks in that case? I run about 54c load with all my case fans under 24db.

Sorry if im being vague, but im not an expert on A64s yet.

Sometimes is and sometimes isn't. Either way, Newegg doesn't have a clue. You've got an older one, so it'll be a Clawhammer with half of its cache disabled. The new ones are Newcastles which have only 512k physically. It's just like Thortons vs. T-Breds.

well, Im not going to overclock, and new egg does make the differentiation between cores, so I can choose either. the enclosure is tiny (3.6x12.2x1.7), so I need to be very aware of the heat output of the processor, as cooling is going to be an issue if I go with that case.

ahhhh I want to go SFF A64 setup too...... I'm sick of my crappy watercooling system, but I can't really throw it away as I invested decent amount of money on it. And I hate the fatty size of the mid-towers, (it does run much cooler but... yeah... don't know if it's worth the size and weight anymore)

I have the Desktop,mobile & the DTR. I cant say that either runs cooler than the other. With the board you are going to run its a good bet that the mobile or DTRs may not work with them.

The Desktop chip would be the safe go & cooling would probably be the same. If you are going to overclock the newcastle seems to clock alittle better but the 1m chips perform better @ lower clocks.

If you are going for low clock the mobil 32 watt (I think) would be the coolest as long as you keep it at the low clock. Some other chips may run a lower voltage with the clock down , witch would help the cooling but I am not shure witch one if any.

Back