• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SFF PC for gaming via emulators .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

austin86

Disabled
Hi guys, My name is Austin. I'm wanting to build a ITX based to free up room in the living room. The system will be used for emulating everything from the 2600 to game cube games. I'm very out dated on tech and the last time I built anything was back in 2017ish.

So yeah... I need help.

I don't have a budget right now. But I was thinking of the 500$ range for the PC it self. If I need to spend more that is ok.
The requirements are to emulate the falling.
atari 2600, 5200 and 7800.
Sega master system, megadrive, Saturn and Dreamcast.
NES, SNES, n64 and GameCube.
PS1, PS2 would be nice but not needed.
Have alot of usb ports for controllers. I don't want to have to unplug and plug different ones in.
So 8 should do but I can live with 4.
Case must have 1 pci slot opening. I need a older video card like a HD4650 for a TV out as I will use the system on a CRT from time to time and don't want to deal with converters. I don't care if the slot is full size or LP so long as I can fit a single slot GPU in the case with a TV out. I don't care if I have to use a riser cable/card for the GPU ether.
Case must be rather small.

Other then that I don't really care.
I have a m.2 stat SSD in my main PC that I will replace with a NVME SSD so I don't need to buy anything for storage.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
If emulation is similar to running virtual machines, then you would do well to get plenty of RAM. I would also think a CPU with lots of horsepower would be important. This suggests going with lots of cores and with your $500 soft budget it would seem AMD Ryzen would be the way to go.

Are you looking for input only on choosing a case or on all build components?

I don’t see needing alot of cpu power or ram since my old moto z3 can emulate everything on my list aside from Ps2 games witch I haven’t tried yet. Typically emulators for older game consoles don’t use more then 2 cores let alone one. Anything modern should emulate most everything on my list aside from gamecube, ps2 and Saturn. These require more power. How much I don’t know. I know a high end 775 system will emulate those.

Im mostly looking for case, cpu and motherboard advice. Im clueless on modern chipset low power/end CPUs cases.

Bah, no worries, the cheapest AMD Ryzen Apu with 8 gigs of ram does a perfect job.

I run all of these emulators for my kid on my 3700u laptop. A maxed out.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

2 cores [email protected] GHz+ and a 5770 do the job.

Bah, no worries, the cheapest AMD Ryzen Apu with 8 gigs of ram does a perfect job.

I run all of these emulators for my kid on my 3700u laptop. A maxed out.

2 cores [email protected] GHz+ and a 5770 do the job.
Hows it handle games like metord prime? I know my 9800x system slows down with that game.
5770 has no tv out right?

Last edited:
Hdmi is not a tv out. A tv out in a din connecter used for composite and component singles. Its sometimes also called an av out too.

With metored prime, I wonder if it is the video card that is bottlenecking the game rather than the CPU?

With metored prime, I wonder if it is the video card that is bottlenecking the game rather than the CPU?

The system has a 780ti so no.

It is a video output...as well as audio (HDMI). You're looking for a simple RCA level Video out which consumer graphics (gaming) cards do not have. They have DisplayPort/mDisplayPort, HDMI, and VGA.

Witch is why in my op I stated I need a pci slot in the case for a card like a 4650 witch has a “TV OUT” tv out is output, Its a din type connecter many mid and low end cars From the nv8xxx to 2xx and ati hd cards up to the 4xxx line had. Its not hdmi, not display port, not vga. Yes most modern tv’s have those ports but it doesn’t make it a TV out connector.

But what ever ill get help someplace else were people can read and clink on links.

Apologies. I thought you were looking for a simple video output. I didn't think of old cards like that, but more of TV cards with that actual output. :thup:

That said, this thread is closed because you're an alias of a member who has been permabanned multiple times. See you later, 'austin'.

:forecast:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back