• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sharing files & folders over two Vista PCs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kivin

A quick google search shows that many are plagued by the same problem as I. However, there doesn't appear to be a quick fix. Feel free to prove me wrong...

... I'm attempting to share the hard disks on my Fiance's PC and my own. Both are Vista.

Both PCs have the same configuration in Network Sharing Center.
* Location type is Private.
* Workgroup is WORKGROUP.
* Each PC has a unique name.
* Network discover is On.
* File Sharing is On.

Both PCs are discoverable to each other. See network map.

Sharing looks like this.

The error we're getting is this. The second window is the 'diagnose' dialog.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
What version of Vista?

Are you both set up as admin users? (Just asking)

Firewall off? (Don't need it with a router between you and the world)

Can both computers ping eachother?

My quick fix is to just use Administrative Shares and stop jacking around with Windows file sharing:

http://www.paulspoerry.com/2007/05/09/how-to-access-administrative-shares-on-vista-c/

Once this is enabled you can just type in

\\Wrath\C$

And have instant access to that computer's C drive without having to manually share the drive out. I've done this for years on XP, Vista and 7, it's much easier.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kivin

Thanks for the response.
My PC is Vista Home Basic and hers is Vista Ultimate or some such.
Both of us are admins, but she uses a login "Administrator" with no password and my login is "Kivin" with no pw.

Windows Firewall is disabled on both sides.
We can ping each others' DCHP (192.168.0.10x) addresses.

Trying administrative shares now.

update:

Tried Administrative Shares and they don't work. I try \\pcname\$driveletter and am prompted for a username + password. I type in the credentials I set up on her PC (added an admin account) and it gives me this.

Last edited:

torin3

Are you actually trying \\pcname\$driveletter or \\pcname\driveletter$ ?

If you are actually trying the first, it won't work that way. You need the $ after your drive letter, not before.

Other than that, I'm not sure what is causing your problem...most of the vista computers I'm dealing with are on a domain.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Make sure that you do that registry fix mentioned in the article. Vista has admin shares disabled by default.

Also, I believe in order to make any kind of sharing work, you need to have a password set on your accounts.

zbo

I know I have truoble trying to access things over the network if both user accounts have the same name but differnt or no passwords.

Also Press "windows + E" and have a go at mapping a network drive. This should help