• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sharing is caring - 10980xe Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
$500 mainboard, $1k chip, another $400 or so for ram. Costs a chunk to set up into one. For 1440p or 4k gaming it's no better than my current 9900KS. With the demise of SLI there's less incentive to get more PCIE lanes, too.

That Asrock ITX X299 sure is a neat little board. Did you get the monoblock to keep the VRMs from going supernova?

I have no problems with [email protected] on the ITX mobo without additional airflow. I had it in multiple rigs but never in my daily rig. Power design is pretty good and people were testing it with 18 core CPUs too but I don't remember results. I also couldn't get the monoblock and when it appeared in stores then it cost $300. I skipped it as I had the motherboard for over a year with Watercool block.
In Poland you can get used X299 motherboard for $150 with warranty and still no one is buying them. That's why I see no point in selling mine (I have ASRock X299 Creator and EVGA X299 Dark too). On the other hand, the cheapest 10980XE costs ~$1.1k here, what is too much for me so I stay with what I already have.

OP
Brutal-Force

Brutal-Force

Buying a whole PC with an X299 mobo is right now a waste of money but upgrades are not a bad idea because these CPUs are really hard to sell and their prices are going down fast.
Everything for the X299 heats up a lot but it's still better to have hot 18 cores than almost as hot 8 cores from the new generation ;) Especially when you have a good motherboard and already signed licenses then it's better to keep it for some longer.
I still have 3x X299 mobos and 7800X+7900X CPUs (both delidded). One set is in a PC that I'm not using for longer and maybe I will try to sell one motherboard but it's weird to sell it cheap considering how well equipped it is. I will keep ASRock X299 ITX and I think I will build something based on that mobo soon, maybe with 7900X. I just hate to see it collecting dust for longer and I have a set of good 4x8GB SODIMM for this mobo.

If you decide to offload that ITX for cheap to a fellow overclocker it me know :), I really want to shrink down to an ITX and am willing to sacrifice a little performance.

VD, Woomack is right, I wouldn't have gotten a 10980xe if I had to buy a whole system to do it. Had I been coming from a 4 or even 8 core processor, I would have went straight to AMD and gotten a 5950x. That said, a) I got this for cheap b) I already had a good motherboard. The only options in intel are 10 core i9 10900, which while I could have gotten a CPU for less than $400, a new Motherboard would have cost me $200-250, so no real contest there. Side by side, 10900 is maybe an average of 5100Mhz overclocked, while mine is about 4700 Mhz overclocked. Advantage 10900. Except.... I don't really game. Mine is more for productivity and multitasking. 18 Cores vs 10 cores, win for 10980x. I already had a 7900x, so why would I upgrade to a 10900. The only logical upgrade would be the i9 10980x, a AMD 5950x or a Xeon (out of my price range) new Mobo, ECC ram.

As ED said, I won't be upgrading any time soon, I am maxing out my other components like RAM and PSU. I will wait around to upgrade my GTX 1080 until prices start to drop again.

I got mine used off of Mercari for $577. https://www.mercari.com/search/?keyword=10980xe I got lucky, otherwise I would still be on my i9 7900x I bought from ED 3 years ago. You really can't touch a i9 10980xe for cheaper than a 5950x, although they are at least available to purchase unlike AMD https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...980xe_core_i9_10980xe_3_0_ghz.html?ap=y&smp=y

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I have delidded CPUs with a mounting kit to run without IHS, 4x8GB DDR4-3800 SODIMM, 3 unused M.2 SSD, VROC module, free SFX PSU and I just upgraded WiFi to AX on this X299 ITX mobo so I guess I will play some more with it and will see. I try to figure out what would be the smallest cooler I can use for this build. I think I will use 7800X as 6 cores are enough for my needs and also lower heat.