• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shell's ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
If I were to switch from explorer to say umm.... Litestep would that free up more CPU power for seti to use ?

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
... Dunno .... Somebody has got to try that out! See if your CPU dedication increases, or your CpF decreases (unlikely). Haven't been reading up on Litestep lately, so I don't know if it works with XP.

JigPu

OP
DDR-PIII

DDR-PIII

Disabled
I'm giving it a try right now :) I'll let you's know the outcome of this :)

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Constantly searching for ways to improve output in any LEGIT way possible is always a good thing:D

Good try, even if it didn't work out, this time;)

Mictlan

Senior OC BOINC User
I really don't think that it would free so much cycles. When the computer is idle (including that the screensaver is off, no mouse movement) the windows GUI is not really doing anything. I have checked with the System Tray (Crtl+Alt+Del in any Windows NT OS) and both instances of SETI are running very close to 50%.....That's in a dual rig with XP Pro :D.....one of the instances goes as low as 49% when I'm moving the mouse but so far that's all the resources Windows are using. This might be an issue if you have small amounts of memory but with 256 MB at least I don't see any improvements.....

TC

Senior Seti Addict
A good thing to try is disabling unnecessary services. There are some tweak guides. I'll try to dig them up.

SpeeDj

I could have sworn a ways back there were some guys who actually ran Seti CLC as their gui so when it loaded that is all it loaded. Perhaps that would be a help? Just my two cents...

J :cool: