• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shhhh dont tell the AMD crowd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpoonMaN

but im hungry for some major memory bandwidth
so im thinking about building a P4 system
all i need is the mobo and the cpu
btw are the duel channel DDR boards out yet?
cuz i want 1 of them

If you can call this a Pentium4 Memory Bandwidth then go and build one.....
mem_254_2_2_3_7.png

The Dual DDR boards won't ship until around Thanksgiving according to the latest rumors.

For overclocking, I haven't played around with any of the newer C1 chips (above 2.53GHz) so maybe someone else will chime in if you have that much $$$ to spend. Of the older Northwoods, the 2.26B and 2.4A have the most overclocking headroom.

I don't buy mobos immediately after they come out, so I can't recommend any of the new Intel 845PE boards yet. But the older 845E boards, particularly those from Asus, Abit and Gigabyte, overclock like a mother and are hella stable. Great prices on them, too, as the PE boards begin to show up.

BHD

BaldHeadedDork said:
The Dual DDR boards won't ship until around Thanksgiving according to the latest rumors.

For overclocking, I haven't played around with any of the newer C1 chips (above 2.53GHz) so maybe someone else will chime in if you have that much $$$ to spend. Of the older Northwoods, the 2.26B and 2.4A have the most overclocking headroom.

I don't buy mobos immediately after they come out, so I can't recommend any of the new Intel 845PE boards yet. But the older 845E boards, particularly those from Asus, Abit and Gigabyte, overclock like a mother and are hella stable. Great prices on them, too, as the PE boards begin to show up.

BHD

Eh I havn't been around here too long.. are all all p4's over 2,53ghz C1 chips or is this just something they just started making and you have to rely on luck to get them?
Should I get a 2,53 over the 1,8A?
Is the 1,8A any different from the 2,4B?
If they ae the same I would buy the 1,8A since they have the same multipler anyway.

mem bandwidth??? hows this for a 2.9ghz p4? with RDRAM.
pcmark.jpg

BTW... its not a crime to own both chips... I do ;)

AZN

not bad not much better than my cpu and memory score score my cpu beat urs and my memory is a little under. My cpu is being rmad now so i cant show pics until i get a new one

ahh but u guys dont know me
im a old school OCer
i was thinking about getting maybe a 2.4
and i have my memory down so low cuz there only rated at 2.5CL
i get around 2500 in sandra anyway

SBeaver said:

Eh I havn't been around here too long.. are all all p4's over 2,53ghz C1 chips or is this just something they just started making and you have to rely on luck to get them?
Should I get a 2,53 over the 1,8A?
Is the 1,8A any different from the 2,4B?
If they ae the same I would buy the 1,8A since they have the same multipler anyway.

Yeah, all of the new chips (2.6, 2.66, 2.8) are built on the new C1 stepping archetecture and you don't need to ask. The older chips are supposed to move to the C1, but they're taking a long time to get into the retail channel. I personally wouldn't buy a chip as a C1 unless I could see it with my eyes first or had a written guarantee that I could return it if it wasn't a C1.

My favorite P4 chips are the 2.4A and 2.26B. They have the most overclocking headroom of the P4 range.

The 1.8A and 2.4B will overclock to about the same level, in the 2.7 range, because they have the same multiplier. The 2.4A and 2.26B get into the three gig range, but cost about $50 more than the 1.8A

BHD

residentevil2 said:
not bad not much better than my cpu and memory score score my cpu beat urs and my memory is a little under. My cpu is being rmad now so i cant show pics until i get a new one
are u talking about me? if so what chip and speed are u comparing the bench to?

AZN

The best CPU to buy(if you find it) is a P4 2,26GHz.....Good Overclocker.....Before I get the one I got now I had(and still have) a 2,26GHz one that rocks....On air for benchies was at 3164MHz and for every day use at 2941MHz......If you got more money go and get a P4 2,66GHz C1 stepping.... As for Mobo I suggest ASUS or ABIT......NOTHING ELSE....!!!!.....

residentevil2 said:

dude dont start thier he is never ganna get 3.6ghz lol maybe 2.8 depends on what he gets but i bet my system he wont get 3ghz.

He can buy a P4 2,26GHz one(if he finds it) and easy work it at 170MHz fsb and memory at 226MHz(452MHz DDR).....

residentevil2 said:
Could you post pics. Thanks

SpoonMaN said:
but im hungry for some major memory bandwidth
so im thinking about building a P4 system
all i need is the mobo and the cpu
btw are the duel channel DDR boards out yet?
cuz i want 1 of them

What chip are you looking to get? .. Time? budget? .. once these questions are answered I'm pretty sure many peeps will help you pick the right combo .. :)

Back