• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shhhh dont tell the AMD crowd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well over the last few hours iv been seeing good things about the asus 845PE board
so i was thinking about that and i saw at newegg they have the 2.4A for $198
i would say my buget for this would be $200 a month
and i have some kick *** ram that will do at least 200mhz
i think it was the cpu that was holding me back when i went higher then that

If you're looking for the best performance, don't get 'A' chips, they have high multi's and lower fsb.. if you favor 2400mhz chips, get 2.4B .. I have that board and it's AWESOME! .. it also support hyper threading new 3.06Ghz+ P4's.. tons of overclockability options in the bios ..

ok then
maybe ill get a B chip
but this is all i nthe thinking stage right now
still not sure
it all rests on what the Nforce 2 boards are like for this athlon

I just got my P4PE in the other day...I can't wait to run it up past spec!!! Yeah baby...Asus lovin' I got the SATA, LAN, DIGITAL AUDIO.....wooooohhhooooooo!!! All in one board.

All I need now is my 2.8, which should be coming this week!

micamica1217 said:

forget it hawk...he always posts and runs. yet he did say he rma'ed his chip.

mica

Yeah...he did me like that last week. Rip & Run.

feel free to ask anytime :) .. if you're comparing that to Nforce2 then look @ Granit Bay dual DDR chipset for P4 that is due sometimes next month also, if you're not rushin' (which what I suggest) I'm pretty sure you can compare both chipsets and make your mind by then, GB chipset will be a killer, they will be providing some outragous memory bandwidth for P4 CPUs..

Yeah.

Granite bay. DDRII

Hyperthreading.

why couldn't i have waited just a tad longer before building an unlimited budget P4 system?

runsalone said:
Yeah.

Granite bay. DDRII

Hyperthreading.

why couldn't i have waited just a tad longer before building an unlimited budget P4 system?

Hey bro, what kind of cooling do you have on your 2.8? Is it air?

Hey bro, what kind of cooling do you have on your 2.8? Is it air?

Innovatek water cooling. the rev 3.0 block for socket 478, a half-*** eheim 1046 and the innovaradi single radiator with a YS tech 120 mm fan.

I'm debating putting the stock intel HSF on and seeing how far it'll go, i've never taken the HSF out of the retail package.

runsalone said:

Innovatek water cooling. the rev 3.0 block for socket 478, a half-*** eheim 1046 and the innovaradi single radiator with a YS tech 120 mm fan.

I'm debating putting the stock intel HSF on and seeing how far it'll go, i've never taken the HSF out of the retail package.

What's your load temp? .. ambient temp and idle temp if you don't mind :) .. I'm about to get wet like others, sold my vapochill last night!

pacino said:
If you're looking for the best performance, don't get 'A' chips, they have high multi's and lower fsb.. if you favor 2400mhz chips, get 2.4B .. I have that board and it's AWESOME! .. it also support hyper threading new 3.06Ghz+ P4's.. tons of overclockability options in the bios ..

Why not get 'A' chips again? I was planning on getting one... And i see that a lot of people have them. I'm confused?!?! =[

acesea said:
You sold a vapochill opting to get a water system? Why? What did you think of the vapochill?

I keep changing mobo/cpu almost every 2 months, the chip cooler is a pain for such a thing, if you're looking for a system that you won't keep removing parts, then I would recommend it.. but not for my case :(

metra said:

Why not get 'A' chips again? I was planning on getting one... And i see that a lot of people have them. I'm confused?!?! =[

I'm not saying Don't get them, I'm just saying B chips run on higher fsb, thus, better performance and better overclockability .. you tell me, 2400mhz on 100fsb and 2400mhz on 133fsb, which one would you pick? :)

pacino said:

I'm not saying Don't get them, I'm just saying B chips run on higher fsb, thus, better performance and better overclockability .. you tell me, 2400mhz on 100fsb and 2400mhz on 133fsb, which one would you pick? :)

At default settings the B chip, of course, but if you overclock that goes out the window.

The decisive factor in achieving the highest FSB when overclocking is the multiplier Intel has locked into the chip. If you want the most speed that makes the 2.4A a better chip than the 2.4B.

BHD

BaldHeadedDork said:

At default settings the B chip, of course, but if you overclock that goes out the window.

The decisive factor in achieving the highest FSB when overclocking is the multiplier Intel has locked into the chip. If you want the most speed that makes the 2.4A a better chip than the 2.4B.

BHD

Not really, let me explain something pretty quick, you seem to forget about higher fsb = better memory bandwidth, right? .. now, why would AMD guys unlock their processors, to get higher fsb, right? .. ok, why would they do that? .. for faster clock speed? maybe, but the real deal is to get some faster memory bandwidth.. I had 2.2 and 2.26.. hit 3Ghz with 2.2 (137fsb) and 3.2Ghz with 2.26 (188fsb) .. which one gave me faster performance (ignore the cpu clock speed for a sec) .. without even looking @ the benchies, I'll go with 188fsb.. now with A chips, you will be lucky to even hit 150fsb! I could be wrong but I'm talking from experience (messed around with tons of P4s) .. memory bandwidth is what matters, period :)

pacino said:

Not really, let me explain something pretty quick, you seem to forget about higher fsb = better memory bandwidth, right? .. now, why would AMD guys unlock their processors, to get higher fsb, right? .. ok, why would they do that? .. for faster clock speed? maybe, but the real deal is to get some faster memory bandwidth.. I had 2.2 and 2.26.. hit 3Ghz with 2.2 (137fsb) and 3.2Ghz with 2.26 (188fsb) .. which one gave me faster performance (ignore the cpu clock speed for a sec) .. without even looking @ the benchies, I'll go with 188fsb.. now with A chips, you will be lucky to even hit 150fsb! I could be wrong but I'm talking from experience (messed around with tons of P4s) .. memory bandwidth is what matters, period :)

I will TOTALLY agree with pacino.....He is RIGHT...!!!....Go and buy a 133MHz fsb CPU,,,,,

Back