• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shims? Good or Bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The_Merovingian

Registered
I have just had a problem with my CPU (multiplyers wernt changing) and removing the shim fixed this.
But strangley enough the temp of my cpu has gone down!
At 166x11.5 it was 34 idle 37 load
Now at 166x12.5 it is 30 idle and 34 load! >_<

Perhaps it was beacuse the shim was not casuing correct contact?
I use the Invannotek Watercooling system with distilled water.
Has anyone else had this happen?

Toysrme

I'm known for hating them. I had the purple anodized shim and it would cause incorrect (too much) mounting pressure under my DOrb3 and my waterblock. (before and after springjob)

I am the rare case though...
All the shim dose is keep you from chipping the core. If you can live with the risk, you're fine.

Albreck

They help you for don't break the core... but they also can create a kind of "no air/hot spot...." 'cause most of them aren't totaly flat, and just don't make a good contact...
my recomendation... don't used... and as Toysrme said "If you can live with the risk, you're fine."

Fast420A

I used one with air cooling and noticed no difference when I removed it, I am using it when I do my watercooling setup though.

rustymaitland

to shim or not to shim, that is the question. whether tis nobler....
forget that shim s--t. hardly worth the cheap insurance everyone says it is. this is just my opinion.
3 words 4 u.
JUST BE CAREFUL.
i have read different things on shims and most of stuff talks about the hs not making direct contact with the cpu and thus raising temps by a couple degrees or so. never used one and nver will. proper contact is achieved by making good contact between the hs and cpu. if you take your hs off of your chip and you see the chip imprint on the bottom of the hs, and this is what i have read, it tells you that good contact was established. whenever i take mine off that is what i witness.

Toysrme

>3 words 4 u.
>JUST BE CAREFUL.

Heh, Don't say that LoL! We're all careful, even while we let 2lbs of copper tip sideways and we knock the corner of the core in!

emericanchaos

it's a big no. it's not needed unless the cooling system was designed with a particular shim in mind like the prometia systems. if anything they would hurt performance because they add space between the CPU and the HSF.

Toysrme

if anything they would hurt performance because they add space between the CPU and the HSF.

Completely incorrect.

Good shims are slightly lower than the core's level and simply keep you from tilting whatever's on top of it enough to crush in a corner of the core.

rustymaitland

i have read otherwise. i just did a google on cpu shims. the first review i read was against them and the second one i read was for them.

Last edited:

Ben721

Official X-Hour Man
I used a shim while building my pc, but then I took it off like 3 months later, and my temps dropped.