• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

shims??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
they are thin pieces of copper that go around the core to help prevent too much pressure being put on the core. this protects it.

cjlax5 said:
they are thin pieces of copper that go around the core to help prevent too much pressure being put on the core. this protects it.

there made out of alum too. which are better cuz they dont conduct voltage.

bigfootcomputers.com sells the non conductive ones.
somepeople say they trap heat and are a waste of money but they can protect you from breaking your cpu when you install the hsf. I have one on my cpu and If you have hsf fan that goes on real tight or are nervous about cracking the core I'd say for the 15 bucks canadian it costs its better than paying for a new cpu.

if you have installed hsf's before and know you will have no problem putting it on properly you probably wont need to get one.

I think a shim is worth it. I have one on my rig for some added safety. If you have a big load on your socket its a really good Idea. I will have about 2 pounds of waterblock and peltier hanging off mine so I think its a good ide. If you are using a normal heatsink don't worry about it.

Bender said:
I think a shim is worth it. I have one on my rig for some added safety. If you have a big load on your socket its a really good Idea. I will have about 2 pounds of waterblock and peltier hanging off mine so I think its a good ide. If you are using a normal heatsink don't worry about it.

i use to use a copper shim with my global win cak-38.. im thinking of useing my alum one with my water block to help it even out. i really think there great alot alot of ppl here seem to think bad of them.. but i think its just cuz there never used them.

Bender said:
Just make shure to put your shim on while the computer is on its side. If you try upright it will be very tough to get it on correctly.

ive done that a few times when i was in a rush :)

I would go with the copper one because copper conducts heat better than aluminum. I have one on my CPU and i love the thing. I have a heavy waterblock on it and it really help stabilize the whole thing.

Back