• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shodan 1.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SHODAN

Update #1: I realized that at the cost of a little added weight, I could extend the reservoir toward the front of the case, which will allow me to put a reservoir window on the front half. I figure since I can, I might as well leave the first one where it was. I've updated the top view image correspondingly, please let me know if you like it or not.

Update #2: I changed the window transparency to show more of the original image with less cropping.

Update #3: All the drive lights in the drawings changed to blue; minor color adjustments; plinth enlarged for stability and appearance.

This is the case design I'm planning to build.

Before I continue, I absolutely must mention one extraordinary phenomenon. I've been planning the SHODAN/SS case theme for some time, though I haven't told anyone until now. When I ordered the Lian Li PC-65B I'll be mod'ing, my order was given number 2072. :eek: :eek: :eek: System Shock fans will understand the significance! A mere coincidence? :eh?: I think not. There is no turning back now, it's destiny! What have I started? :drool:

On the top of the case there will be a recessed handle. On either side of this handle, there will be a UV-CCFL lit water reservoir. Originally I planned to have coolant flow down clear tubes on the corners, also UV lit, but that would require major surgery as the main frame members at the back of the case are in the way. I now plan to use solid acrylic rod with EL tape, though I may eventually do the full mod during my next mad spell. :D SHODAN will be a back-lit transparency, probably with CCFLs as a large EL sheet is heinously expensive. The lower section that has been added to the case will house an Eheim 1250 and twin DTEK heater cores each with dual fans and shrouds. For the uninitiated, the symbol on the front is the Tri.Optimum logo, another System Shock reference. I'll likely add another back-lit symbol on the top of the case, but I haven't chosen one yet.

(images in next post)

Last edited:
OP
SHODAN

SHODAN

Front view:
shodan1.0-front.jpg

Top view:
shodan1.0-top.jpg

Side view:
shodan1.0-side.jpg

So what do you think of her? ;)

MEAT BAG

Oh i think you should take the crosshairs out of that from symbol(the light gray ones) and make the lian li case leds match the rest of the light...just a thought

OP
SHODAN

SHODAN

MEAT BAG said:
Oh i think you should take the crosshairs out of that from symbol(the light gray ones) and make the lian li case leds match the rest of the light...just a thought

Hey, thanks, it looks like you're the only one who took the time to respond. :( I removed the cross-hairs as you suggested. I'm not sure what color LEDs will look good, what do you think?

I added the same symbol to the top of the case, as a window into the reservoir; I'd put it at the front end of the case, but unless I can get really creative, the plumbing will be in the way.

Do you think I should leave the black wire fan grills, or replace them with laser-cut designs? (Which one?)

Any other ideas?

ZathrothATL

Nice goal too work on. Keep us informed on the building schedule and include some pics. Other than that nice pre-planned case

OP
SHODAN

SHODAN

ZathrothATL said:
Nice goal too work on. Keep us informed on the building schedule and include some pics. Other than that nice pre-planned case

Thanks. I'll keep y'all posted, but I warn you now that I'm really slow to get these projects done. I often quit half way though to work on any number of other projects, so it could be a year before I complete the case, though I hope it won't be.

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
Keep the black wire fan grills.

Do the drive leds in blue, and maybe do the harddrive led in a orange to match the logo and the leds on the baybus.

Are you planning on a window? You may want to move Shodan to the other side (behind the mobo tray) (if it will be visable given your desk setup) and put a normal window on the other side looking into the case.

Other than that i cant think of anything, it sounds like its gona be sweet. Keep us informed.

OP
SHODAN

SHODAN

WyrmMaster, that all sounds good to me. I'd put the SHODAN transparency on the other side if the EL sheet wasn't so bloody expensive, and there's really not room behind the MB tray for a CCFL to evenly light the full image. I could always just open the case if there's some hardware I really want to show off. It's a reasonable compromise, don't you think?

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
yah, EL is kinda high priced :) And since the shodan image will be slightly transparent it sounds like you will still be able to see in a little bit. one other thing you may want to think about is using led fans on the side, might look cool. Check www.svcompucycle.com

masitti

If you can pull that off, that would look awesome. Although the fact that you can't see into the computer makes it a bummer.

Maybe have the window laser-etched to keep the window but also to have it see through.

OP
SHODAN

SHODAN

WyrmMaster said:
yah, EL is kinda high priced :) And since the shodan image will be slightly transparent it sounds like you will still be able to see in a little bit. one other thing you may want to think about is using led fans on the side, might look cool. Check www.svcompucycle.com

An EL sheet large enough for that job is nearly $190 at the place I checked. :eek: That's not in the budget.

I took a quick look around that site, and I may be missing the one your referring to, but I've never seen a 120mm x 38mm blue LED fan; the 38mm depth is important for pushing air though the heater core. For now, EL wire around the edge will have to do.

OP
SHODAN

SHODAN

masitti said:
If you can pull that off, that would look awesome. Although the fact that you can't see into the computer makes it a bummer.

Maybe have the window laser-etched to keep the window but also to have it see through.

I'll tell you what, you send me the $190 EL sheet, and I'll have both the window and the back-light box. :D :beer:

OP
SHODAN

SHODAN

Update: I made a few changes to the drawings, the most visible being the "VB" logo at the top front. That's the "Von Braun" logo from System Shock 2. I also changed the HDD LED to orange. With the exception of a few minor changes, such changing all the green drive LEDs, this design is essentially finished unless someone has a suggestion.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
oooooh ooooooooooh. I have an idea for you!

If you want to make that side panel image even weirder I recommend making different layers of it. The background could be just the wires, the middle layer could be the lines going to the head, and the upper layer could be just the head.

Then you could have the images printed onto 11 x 17 acetate and you could layer them onto eachother with a small gap inbetween each one.

The "image sandwidth" would give your picture alot more depth when viewed in person. It would also allow you to backlight it if you wanted to.

OP
SHODAN

SHODAN

Good idea Captain Slug, I hadn't really given that kind of thing any thought. I wish I could see examples of that, but of course, pictures wouldn't fully capture the effect.

Now that you have me thinking, I remember there was I company that did custom holographic signs, for show booths at conventions for example. I wonder what that would cost... :rolleyes: