• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I buy a [email protected] 6700k from a user? or try my luck with a new one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Akr706

So, I have a seller who is selling a 6700k. He says that box is sealed, but the processor popped out from the back (but inside that plastic cover, so no damage to the chip) because of box damage in transit. He says that he used it only to test if it is working properly.

Now, he claims that the chip can be overclocked to 4.8GHz @ 1.426V (tested on his maximus viii impact). [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected].

So my question is, should I buy that processor from him? Is it a good chip in terms of overclocking? Or should I try my luck with a new one? New one will cost me just $10 more.

My current build's 4790k is a good chip, i guess, as it is running on 4.7GHz @ 1.27V and the max temps under load go upto 70C with 30C ambient temp, liquid cooled with H110i GTX. Now, I am making one more build. Even with the 6700k, I just want 4.7GHz at good voltages and temps.

$10 difference wouldn't be enough for me to buy used. I'd go with a new one.

Buy new, it would have to be a lot cheaper to buy it and buying these chips can't be with an excuse accompanying it whether it's undamaged or not. You'll like the 6700 chip.

The story sounds suspicious to me... I think it's more likely that he bought a bunch of chips, tested each of them to find the best clocking one, and is selling the rest.

The box isn't "sealed". It has been opened, just without breaking the seal. Maybe he wanted to return them but the store wouldn't take them back? I imagine it's not the first time someone tried that.

If the story is really as he said, why wouldn't he just return it and get a full refund? Why sell it for a bit less?

Numbers don't make sense: the nearest the vcore wall, the higher should be the increase between 2 steps.

Example: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected].

If you need +0.08v from 4.6 to 4.7, the chip will not make 4.8GHz with +0.04v. It would need something like +0.1v minimum.

Stay away from the seller: either he doesn't know how to bin the chip, or worse, he BS you.

Agree something seems off. With that voltage jump. Getting to 4.8Ghz seems to be the hardest of the bunch, let alone stable at that speed. Yes I can run 4.8Ghz at lower but its stable at that voltage.

My vcores go like this:
4.3Ghz = 1.18V
4.4Ghz = 1.22V (estimated)
4.5Ghz = 1.25V
4.6Ghz = 1.3V
4.7Ghz = 1.35V
4.8Ghz = 1.425V

So I start off with a .04V increase roughly, then goes to .05V then jumps to .075V.

Besides buying used with a "new" processor if something goes wrong... good luck on the warranty.

There is no way that CPU can be damaged in transit if you know how are they packed. There is no way it could just "pop out" if CPU box isn't totally damaged. It's in a cardboard protection and it's holding CPU pretty good.
4.8GHz at 1.425-1.45V is what I got in all my skylakes which aren't any special.

4.8 ghz at 1.425 volts is not something to brag about. A lot of 6700k CPUs will do that on less voltage and I certainly would not run it with that much juice 24/7. I'm wondering what the guy cooled it with if he was pumping 1.425v into it? I'd be more interested in his cooling system than his chip.

The D15 will handle it just barely, stepping on ~90c in my case, only use it for benching though. No AIO to my knowledge will be much better here so has to be a custom loop to get decent temps out of it ?

Yeah my 4.8Ghz does roughly 86C i think was the hottest I've seen during stress testing.

Back