• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I buy a 42" plasma or a 22" wide screen monitor???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
good god man

for 21% more money you get more that double the viewing area

does the plasma have vga in?

DipStickTony

geezus Mr. Moneybags , 3000 dollars is like 50% of my yearly salary working at circuit city 16 hours a week :) :)

I think a 42inch would be WAY nicer then a 22inch monitor, no idea how image quality would be since I have a nice no name brand 25inch tv, and el cheapo 19inch monitor :)

OP
SemiCycle

SemiCycle

Specs on the plasma

If I do get this, I'm going to start right away on my HTPC also.

Diagonal 42-inch Screen Size
16:9 Wide Aspect Ratio
852 x 480 native pixel with progressive scan
600:1 Contrast Ratio
570 cd/m2 Brightness
Integrated Tuner and Speakers
HDTV Signal Compatible
160 Degree viewing angle

Connector Types
RCA jacks for audio, video, Y/Cb/Cr and Y/Pb/Pr
6 pin DIN S-Terminal for S Video
9 pin D-SUB for RS232
15 pin D-SUB for RGB
24 pin DVI

Audio/Video Inputs/Outputs
1 Composite Video
1 S Video
2 Component Video
1 DVI video input
1 RGB input
6 Audio In ( L/R )
1 Audio Output ( L/R )
1 Subwoofer output

MEAT BAG

Its bigger but doesnt have the resolution. The 42" would be for bragging rights but i think for everyday use the 22" would be better since i bet it supports a decrnt resolution like 1600x1024 at least.

OP
SemiCycle

SemiCycle

MEAT BAG said:
Its bigger but doesnt have the resolution. The 42" would be for bragging rights but i think for everyday use the 22" would be better since i bet it supports a decrnt resolution like 1600x1024 at least.

I have to admit that you are correct with that. That is one of the reasons why I was considering it too.

Aren't you alittle biased though meatbag. You must be glaring at that big ol 22" Apple LCD monitor right now. :D
J/K

Henry Rollins II

Seriosly though, I think both monitors are way overpriced. You can buy almost three 22" perfect flat monitors for the same price as that 22" wide screen. Propably the non-wide(4:3) has better picture quality too.

Id say get a 22" flat 4:3 CRT monitor and a 36" wide screen TV.

masitti

Now, if this is an Apple Display we are talking about.. I'd go with that instead - I am not much into TV, so I'd get the Apple - however most people watch more TV than I do. :p

MEAT BAG

Henry Rollins II
Seriosly though, I think both monitors are way overpriced. You can buy almost three 22" perfect flat monitors for the same price as that 22" wide screen. Propably the non-wide(4:3) has better picture quality too.

Since when does aspect ratio affect image quality?

Namagomi
rofl. a 22'' display that overly expensive could only be made by apple. they are really nice, but no contest against a 42'' plasma!

Its no contest in size. I just like quality over quanitity.

Kid Payne

Plasma TV all the way. Buy that monster and stick that sucker on your wall...it's like a work of art!

EDIT* Where in the world did you find a plasma tv for that price??? they go for almost 20 grand!!!

PreservedSwine

852 x 480 native pixel with progressive scan

Umm, that pretty much sucks for such a large screen. I guess that's why it's so cheap.

A decent Plasma TV of that size twice what they're selling that thing for...

Also, you may want to check the reliability of the plasma screens before you drop a few grand. My first one didn't even last a year, and from talking with the service tech, I wasn't alone....