• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I buy SSD for this rig ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I didn't try that but I just got a solution from exchange forum they told me to use a PowerShell command that really solve the problem.

Get-ChildItem "I:\media & personal\personal pictures_need_rename\camera" | foreach { mv $_.FullName "$($_.FullName).JPG"}

Regarding the previous question about the laptop, I agree with trents that the browser windows are likely the problem. Especially if you have something like Facebook open, certain pages seem to continually consume memory. Anyway, an easy way to tell what is going on when performance is not to your liking is task manager. You can see what is using up all of your system resources, and even sort the list by the resource that you want to evaluate.

So are you saying the Power Shell command did work or should work?

Yep it worked. I have tried before cmd commands but didn't work. I gave it a shot today and posted a question about it in super user forum and they provided the answer :)

Regarding the previous question about the laptop, I agree with trents that the browser windows are likely the problem. Especially if you have something like Facebook open, certain pages seem to continually consume memory. Anyway, an easy way to tell what is going on when performance is not to your liking is task manager. You can see what is using up all of your system resources, and even sort the list by the resource that you want to evaluate.

This problem where the icon background goes black is new, it started to happen the last week. I thought the RAM upgrade in the laptop didn't work as expected, but I actually upgraded both my laptop and rig RAMs to 16GB.

And then I encountered the problem in my rig too so I thought the RAMs upgrade has something fishy going on .. but anyway it's not a huge problem.

Just got my Crucial 1TB 2.5" SSD.

20200506_143408.jpg

But now how to copy my C drive to the new SSD ?

Because all I know is to install fresh Windows copy + installing programs ... etc. Which is a lot of work.

I know something about copying OS, I can do some searching on YouTube, but I wanted to know if there's a simple way.

OK thanks, I didn't start copying the stuff.

First of all, it doesn't matter which sata port I'm connecting the main drive, is that true ?
Which means that I don't have to connect the new SSD which would be the main OS drive to SATA0.

So I can connect the new SSD in port 2 and set it in the bios as the main boot drive, is that OK ?

If so, then I just have to plug the new SSD and then log into the rig and copy the C drive to the new SSD, then I can delete the C drive in the WD HDD.

I have another question, should I format the SSD to GPT or it's doesn't matter ?

I'd make sure it is the Intel based sata ports. Typically the first few (see manual for details). Outside of that, port placement doesnt matter. You can boot off the 3rd party ports too - assuming the sniper has them, not sure - but they are generally slower than those hanging off the Intel chipset.

Yeah I think they are all 6Gb/s.

sata.png

But wait a minute !! The SSD is very light ! Is it a scam !! I didn't realize until I took the SSD out of the plastic enclosure as I shut off the PC to install it.

20200506_183302.jpg

It's actually my first time holding a SSD so I was impressed of how it's really thin and light ! I suspected the usual scam that they put a flash memory board and glue it to the enclosure.

Is this an original SSD ?

It's actually my first time holding a SSD so I was impressed of how it's really thin and light ! I suspected the usual scam that they put a flash memory board and glue it to the enclosure.

Is this an original SSD ?

The weight is fine. Amazon lists the weight of a similar Gamerking 1TB SSD at 35 grams.

Yeah I think they are all 6Gb/s.
The 3rd party controlled ones would be SATA3 6 GB/s too... the point was to be sure you are on the intel controlled ones. Which, it seems that board only has intel controlled ports.

That's how much they weigh(ish). Look at others as Dave has done for you to see. :)

I cloned it with macrium the partition isn't set as boot drive.

Untitled.png

so I'm booting from the HDD ! What to do now ?

I uninstalled macrium and installed WD support software.

I set up my options but the last step, in the red circle says that the copy of the source which is in MBR would be copied as is.

1.png

But my destination in GPT, so what does that mean ? I know this won't affect the format of the SSD. Only the copy of the OS would have the same MBR layout but the SSD and the partition containing the OS is GPT, am I understanding it correctly ?

Update:

I proceeded that operation anyway, but didn't work it initializes windows but finally get to black screen !

I tried disconnecting the original WD HDD and launch from the SSD but also didn't work, it seems that WD software didn't copy the stuff as OS clone.

I tried to use Easus but at final step of clone operation it said I have to put serial number or purchase the software.

OK, I have a bit of a problem.

I don't want to change the format of the SSD to MBR but apparently, clone software forces the operation to complete as is.

easeus.png

I think I have to do it manually !! Because the source HDD is MBR and destination is GPT.

I just have to install most important software as usual.

But I have an idea that could help me in future in similar situations.

What if I just put windows in e.g. 30GB partition, and then specify like 200GB for programs ? Can I do that ?

Last edited:
In short, Your rig supports the second SSD. That is, the SATA SSD.
So use that.

I hope this helps!

I've put the SSD in sata 0, then put WD 3.5" in sata 1 then Toshiba 2.5" in sata 2.

Now I'm moving folders to SSD and WD as they GPT format, then I would convert the Toshiba to GPT too.

I thought that all that matters for windows is that the boot drive/partition be MBR. You shouldn't have issues copying between the two types

Yep, there's one folder gave me that error but after some search I think the folder has some corrupted files so I deleted it.

Back