• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I clean my NEW heatsink and NEW athlon XP with alcohol before installing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

Even though they are brand new, do you think I should clean the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the core with alcohol before applying AS3 and installing?

Also, is 70% pure alcohol ok? Or should it be in the 90's?

YES. just because it new does not mean it is sterile or clean. Who knows who touched the core or bottom of the hs while packing. It would probably be fine but is it worth the risk?

You never know what kind of germs are on that heatsink. Your cpu might catch a virus. :D

I always clean off my heatsinks before I install them. It's always a good idea.

ok, I'll clean them then. But is 70 % alcohol ok?

I was just doing a job at Intel in Santa Clara and some guy wheeled in a 55 gallon drum of 100% isopropal alchohol. I was drooling and ask the guy for a pint. I think he thought I was a drunk or something by the look he gave me. And no I didnt get any:(

I think the 30% that isn't alcohol is water and it doesn't evaporate nearly as fast as the alcohol so you may trap water between the AS3 and the CPU.

I just make sure I give it pleanty of time to dry, just in case.

Back