• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I get a 1050 ti after having 780 classified?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R1S8K

Hello,

I think my 780 classified, I opened a thread about it and according to member's suggestions for basic troubleshooting, it turns out that the 780 classified is the problem.

I don't know if the GPU is completely broken and there's no way to fix it. I have another 770 SC in the box also broke during flight shipping process.

But I don't know if I can fix any card of the two GPUs I have.

So I guess and from the experience I got from people that if a GPU is broken, there'e no way to fix it, even the company may find it difficult to fix and they may give me a new one, but of course my warranty is out.

So, I guess I have to buy a new one. I have looked into Amazon and found Gigabyte 1050 ti with good price and reputation.

There are two versions in the page, I don't know what's the difference between them, this is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCUYOWK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

The first version is 1506 boost clock and the 2nd one is 1468. So which one should I get?

And also should I go higher than 1050 ti?

1050ti is barely a 1080p capable card. Pretty sure 780 is faster. On that alone I would say no.

Budget? Resolution you game at? We need more information to help!

I replied in the other thread that at minimum you'd need a 1060 just to match the GTX 780. Best advice is to get the best card you can afford

The 1050 and 1050Ti are both very similar in performance and are only slightly slower than the 780. The 1060 is a nice little jump up in performance according to GPUBoss.
The 1060 = 7.7
780 = 7.4
1050Ti = 6.9
1050 = 6.8

The difference between them all is limited according to this *one* source. Read around and see what you find and what you like.

When researching, try to find reviews playing the games you play and look at the resolutions you play at to get the card that is best for you.

What is your BUDGET now? In your other thread where this discussion was started, it was low, around $200. I see you have linked a 1080, which just by the numbering scheme is faster than a 1070Ti, is that now within your budget?

What RESOLUTION DO YOU GAME AT?

Answering questions we ask helps us help you. Please be sure you are answering the questions asked of you. :)

Yes, a quick search for prices on Amazon.
Amazon is NOT a source for performance reviews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is your BUDGET now?

In your other thread where this discussion was started, it was low, around $200. I see you have linked a 1080, which just by the numbering scheme is faster than a 1070Ti, is that now within your budget?

My maximum price would be around $400, but I guess I won't go back to this price, because I buy an expensive GPU like the 780 classified and then after 3-4 years it breaks. I would say I played a lot on that card. But it should last just like the CPU and the other parts.

I want to pay like less than $300, which is the price of 1060, but when I think about it I say "why not increasing the money and get a powerful GPU to play at HIGH-ULTRA settings and at the same time the card runs cool and quiet?"

But not entirely, the card got HOT with games like FAR CRY 4.

I would really like to pay the price of that 1080 which is $470, but I'm afraid it could break by any means. This is my fear.

What RESOLUTION DO YOU GAME AT?
I have 27" Qnix which is 2560x1440. But there's a possibility that I may buy a bigger monitor.

Answering questions we ask helps us help you. Please be sure you are answering the questions asked of you. :)

I'm even happy to answer questions, connecting with people who are concerned about my issue is an honor to me :)

Amazon is NOT a source for performance reviews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, but I have a previous experience of looking for cards before, that's why I got the 780 classified after the 770 broke. I knew it's a modified 780 and it was really a good card.

I have a good experience with the 770 which didn't last long, but I experienced that the card got really HOT and the fans ran really loud with games that graphics demanding. The 780 classified ran more cooler than the 770.

One thing about new cards is you have at least a 3-year warranty, even a good used 10xx card will still have a warranty. That 780 lasting 4 years is quite normal especially if it wasn't in ideal conditions

If you are planning to upgrade from a 2560x1440 monitor the only direction is to ultra-wide or 4K, either of those a 1080 would be minimum, likely leaning towards a 1080ti and up.

One thing about new cards is you have at least a 3-year warranty, even a good used 10xx card will still have a warranty. That 780 lasting 4 years is quite normal especially if it wasn't in ideal conditions

I think GPUs are more prone to break than other parts. My motherboard got a hit with the 770 when that GPU broke during flight shipping, the CPU, the HDDs and the PSU.

The PSU actually broke because of a power MOSFET, and I fixed it which is really nice, but GPUs like CPUs and HDD can't be repaired.

But you're right about the warranty, also the 780 should last longer if it was in one setup and the rig doesn't get moved to different places. I actually took my rig multiple times travelling during vacations and relocations. Maybe moving the rig is the cause that broke the 780.

If you are planning to upgrade from a 2560x1440 monitor the only direction is to ultra-wide or 4K, either of those a 1080 would be minimum, likely leaning towards a 1080ti and up.
That 1080 has a good price for $470, otherwise I'm getting the 1060 for $290.

I thought about the new ultrawide 34" monitors or the 32" monitors. The 32" are nice but they are expensive considering the shipping rates.

But what about TVs? Would they be optimum with gaming rigs? Like my 55" TV. I can get a 50" TV for like $350.

Size of a screen does not matter, it's the resolution. You can have a 60'' 480p screen and a 24'' 4k screen. The 24'' needs a lot more processing power. The issue with TV's is you have to be able to disable the post processing otherwise you will have input lag.

Size of a screen does not matter, it's the resolution. You can have a 60'' 480p screen and a 24'' 4k screen. The 24'' needs a lot more processing power. The issue with TV's is you have to be able to disable the post processing otherwise you will have input lag.

Yes I know how resolution is important for the details of the game. I have 27" Qnix 2560x1440 which is a cool nice monitor I really like it a lot, good vibrant colors. If I get a 32" monitor with the same resolution I think it would be nice too.

But what is "post processing"? Is it something I can find in most of modern TVs? Even if they are not top brands; like, Sony .. etc.

Is that 1080 a catch? Could it be a refurbished one? Since it has a nice price compared to standard 1080 price?

I don't think used cards are good for me, because I live far away, it would be difficult to return it if it's not working or anything wrong with it.

I prefer a new one with 3 years warranty. At least I have much time before the card breaks :)

If you buy a used card, you return it the company, not the person... ;)

The bottom line (to me) is this......

You are playing at 2560x1440 with desires to go to a higher resolution. You want nothing less than a 1070, but preferably a 1080. A 1050Ti is NOT a choice at that res, nor is a 1060. So, if you want to play games as you should on a PC (high/ultra settings) then go 1080 for that resolution. Otherwise, from day 1 you will have to lower settings ins ome titles...

OK, that's nice.

If I want to buy a used card, there are chance to get a used GPU from a person who like to buy new cards and sell the olds ones :)

Maybe he/she didn't use that card for like a year or less, so the card still new. I would really like to find a nice catch like that, but where?

Good luck on that... there is absolutely no way to tell unless they mention it. And if that is the case, the price would obviously be higher.

Back