• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Should I get an i5 or i7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FootOfGold

Registered
Well I am currently doing my first build so pardon me because I know very little about processors, so I was wondering if I could get a little help. So far my set up includes the following:

Graphics: SLI MSI N660-2GD5/OC GeForce GTX (2 of them)
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
RAM: 16gb
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB

Essentially what I am asking is if I get an i5 will it slightly hinder my performance? I do not plan on overclocking at all if that has an affect on which CPU I should get and again I apologize for knowing so little. If the i7 is worth the extra hundred bucks I will be willing to go for it so it is fine to be candid. Thank you for any help :)

OP
F

FootOfGold

Registered
Well thank you both dearly for your advice. I am pretty excited to now be finished with my build :clap:

wingman99

You can overclok if you want you have the correct parts for doing it, you just need a CPU cooler.

Mjolnir

If you're not overclocking I'd suggest spending less on your motherboard. If one day you might consider it stick to what you have. But I see little point buying a z77 board with no intention to overclock when you could save money and buy a say b75 board and a non k processor.

Furthermore; have you already bought any of this? I highly suggest against going straight out SLI especially with mid-range cards. A single more powerful card is more viable; with the option to SLI/Xfire that later on with extra cash. If you're only running at 1920x1080p; I'd avoid SLI/Xfire altogether frankly. A single HD 7950/7970/GTX 670/680 can generally handle any game at that resolution maxing out basically everything (some exceptions). Less potential driver issues, power consumption and noise (if that matters to you)

Last edited:
OP
F

FootOfGold

Registered
Thanks Mjolnir, I was actually considering overclocking sometime in the distant future but I believe I should definitely learn more about it before doing so. By the way, I have bought everything EXCEPT the graphics card. I do have another question though, and that is:
Right now I have a 550w power supply and for the 670 it recommends having at least 500w, isn't the general rule of thumb getting 100 watts more than what is recommended for just the card? Or is that not true?

wingman99

+1 550w is plenty it will probably only use 350w until you overclock than you can add 100w more.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

For reference I run a power meter and from the wall with a 2500k at 4.5ghz and gtx 670 I've yet to pass 300w loading. If I furmarked and IBT'd it I'm sure I would, but in any given gaming scenario I'm around 280w. Give or take. Considering ivy bridge uses a little less than sandy. You'd be even less.

OP
F

FootOfGold

Registered
Thank you all so much for your help! I suppose it will be a few more weeks until I get a 670 but my mobo and processor are supposed to arrive sometime this week. Again, I really appreciate you guys helping me out.