• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should I make my own ramsinks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tft

I just got my stick of corsair pc3200 in today, and I wasn't happy with the heatspreaders. They were about 5mm off of the chip, and the thermal tape wan't even completly on all of the chips. Anyway, I took the heatspreaders off, and I got wondering about cooling.

I was considering two options. 1 - I just put a fan near the ram to blow on the ram (I heard ram doesn't get that hot, unless extreme voltage is applied), Or, 2 - I can make my own ramsinks out of a few old heatsinks I have lying around. I'll attach the ramsinks with some glue and the good old white-paste stuff.

Which one would be more effective? (or should I do both?) I haven't seen anyone talking about making their won ramsinks, so I'm wondering if that's even a good solution

Thanks in advance

WarriorII

Moderator #666
To buy them is only $ 10 - 15 bux.

Or you could use the old ones,
and put them on with some AS2 or 3.
If you didn't mangle them getting them off.

Or make ur own if they're 2 scrd 2 use. AND a fan. :)

Good luck.

X

---X---

Stick a fan somewhere to blow on the bare (heatspreader-removed) RAM to get the job done quickly and easily.

Make your own RAMsinks for the sake of the uber-coolness it will bring you, or something to that effect :p.

Just please don't buy them, its a waste of time and money that could go to your next CPU or something ;)

CyberFed

yeah i agree ramsinks are a waste of money...if you want them make themk, IMHO they are pointless, as long as the heatspreader is there you dont need anything more, ram does not get that hot i have never worked on a machine that the ram was "hot" and i've stuck my hand in many overclocked rigs both RD and SD ram

OP
T

tft

I don't like the contact the heatspreaders make with the chip, only half of the heatspreader actually touches the chip. So I won't be using those. So you think I should just put a fan in front? If I made my own they'd just be for the sake of coolness? I'm getting confused here :beer: I figured that homemade ramsinks would far superior to the heatspreader, and if I had that coupled with a fan, it would work best.

But my real question is if it would be necessary to make some ramsinks, or if I would just be better off using a fan, I' m not going to use the heatspreader, its just terrible :)

Thanks

X

---X---

Its not necessary. In fact, its really not necessary to position a fan to blow on the RAM, unless you plan on really high FSBs and/or aren't so confident with your case airflow. However, it's good insurance :)

flapperhead

why dont u try making your own ramsinks.you can really learn alot by designing your own equipment. i have a some of used high quality 40mm sanyo denki 12 volt fans that i would be happy to send to you for free....... flapperhead

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
Just remember when you make your own you need to be cautious when you apply the Arctic Alumina adhesive or especially Arctic Silver Adhesive, with memory prices high, just make sure your careful (naturally you can affix them with the 3M thermal tape if you can find it, but thermal tape you run the risk of the heatsink falling off)

Another option is just buy a new Heatspreader and make sure it makes good contact with the chips

I've purchased a few things from this seller on Ebay and he ships fast and seems to be a good guy

(Two) 3M COPPER SDRAM DDR RAM MEMORY HEATSINK $8.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2072410894

PS some people swear by these, some say you dont need them... I use them, but to each thier own ;)

PSS Heres a Pic, as you can see it employs tape that covers the majority of the memory chips

MH-100-C_01.jpg

masitti

Usually you have some kinda airflow that runs by the RAM.. so it doesn't require anymore cooling on it, and the spreaders just help get the heat away from the chips and into the air.

If you don't have good airflow however, then you may wanna look into getting the active memory kits from Thermaltake which should do the trick.