• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I pay 40e to change 1Gb HyperX BH-5 with 1Gb mushkin lvl2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OSFP

Hi, I currently got 2x512mb HyperX PC3200 BH-5 , and I got a chance to pay 40 euros and exchange them with 1Gb Mushkin PC3500 lvl2 (also BH-5) . Should I go for it?
I mean do the mushkins go higher, and is it worth the extra money?

I other situations I wouldnt consider such a trade since i already got BH-5 , but to tell you the truth I am kinda dissapointed by my RAM...
It cant even run stock at 2-2-2-5 and stock voltage (2.6) , it needs 2.8V to run at 400MHz 2-2-2-5... and with 2.96V the most I have got it is 430....which seems kinda low to me....
So considering the mushkins are at stock 433 and 2.7V, would they be better in OC? or is this also kinda fake and they would need 2.96 too to run 433?

Tell me your thoughts plz...

BLIssID

Mushkin guarantees that their PC3500 BL2(BH-5) will do 433mhz with 6-2-2-2(on a nforce2 chipset) with a voltage anywhere from 2.5 - 2.75v

at 400mhz those sticks can do 5-2-2-2 easy.

larva

Inactive Moderator
Mushkin can promise what they want, but BH5 is still BH5. Except for the fact that older BH5 is better. I'd hold onto the HyperX and burn the money in the fireplace before I'd trade it for newer production BH5's, all spec sheet bs aside.

It's very hard to say how good your current results are since you omitted small details like what system it's in. But 430MHz at 2-2-2-5 on 2.96V is pretty good in most cases. You can try another set of ram if you want to, but I think you will find out there wasn't anything wrong with what you have now.

OP
O

OSFP

afterall I didnt do the trade, so I could use some help on how to upgrade the performance of my BH-5 s....
I am gonna make a new thread and plz help me there...

Raillex

Registered
Hmmm... I bought my original Mushkin PC3500 Black Level 2 kit from Newegg thinking they would outperform my OCZ PC3500 Platinum Limited Editions (also BH-5) and was sorely disappointed when I discovered they wouldn't pass Memtest86, much less Prime95, at their rated specs. I ended up RMAing them to Mushkin directly and they were kind enough to replace them with modules that work as advertised. The moral of this story is that not all Mushkin BH-5 modules are created equally, and the quality of the sticks you end up getting is really luck of the draw.