• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should I push this chip anymore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ununquadium114

Disabled
I'm currently at 3.5, temps are around 40 C load, & my vcore is 1.65 (my mobo undervolts for some reason). My PCMark scores are 8513 for CPU & 7356 for my 1 stick of 512 ram. When I got this chip I said I'd be content with 3.5, but its tempting to push it a little more. I would post pics, but i'm not allowed. any thoughts?

JaY_III

Senior of BX
temps are really good, is that full load?
If so, i would try to push it more...

what kind of stability test do you run?

batboy

Senior Moment
Your setting is 1.65v but it undervolts? I say go for it and see if you can get anything more. However, I personally would not exceed 1.7v actual vcore. Not sure I'd run 1.65v for long term even.

OMG... Jay, that's funny. You are using a quote from me in your sig. Woohoo, I'm famous.

OP
Ununquadium114

Ununquadium114

Disabled
setting is 1.75, but board puts it at 1.65. whats wrong with anything above 1.7? to test stability, i run kazaa & fold. that usually tells me how stable things are.

NookieN

Ununquadium114 said:
setting is 1.75, but board puts it at 1.65.

That's what it's supposed to do. 1.75v is just a reference, it is not the actual voltage that reaches the chip during load nor is it supposed to be. I wouldn't recommend raising the voltage any higher than where you have it now.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
@ batboy, your famous already from your own doings....

as for you not running 1.65V for a long time, may i ask Why? as 1.65V is only a 10% incress in Vcore as that is generally seen as safe withen reason.

(@Ununquadium 114 and batboy now) 1.7+ Vcore is getting into the 15% range... and we all know that can harm a CPU (SNDS anyone)

(@batboy again) But then again you have had alot more work on P4's than me so just looking for your insight on that issue.

batboy

Senior Moment
I'm overly cautious I guess. People have CPUs dying above 1.7v, but I think very few have fried at 1.7v, therefore I add a another safety factor and set my voltage down a little lower for long term. In reality, anything up to 1.7v would actually be ok. I do sometime increase voltage for a short period of time when I'm doing extreme overclocking.

OP
Ununquadium114

Ununquadium114

Disabled
just put fsb @ 275 & its workin g00 so far. still getting temps of around 40 C, the vantec tornado is an excellent fan. :clap:

mcortz_2000

Might I ask why you are not using Dual Channel mode....

Thats what is so great about this board aside from the great overclocks....
Its a dual channel board....:)

OP
Ununquadium114

Ununquadium114

Disabled
yeah i made a dumb decison that i would get another 512 stick later. at this point im badly in debt & not getting much of anything for a while. my ram is @ 367.1 Mhz & 2-3-3 timings. i dont think i can get 2-2-2 unless i vdimm mod which i have no clue how to do

OP
Ununquadium114

Ununquadium114

Disabled
this chip is quite good! i just hit 3.6! my goal was originally 3.5, but this chip seems to be able to handle a lot. my stability tests are getting shorter & shorter as my patience seems to lessen. however, i will test this for a while. if i could i would post pics, but its not letting me at the moment. at this point im almost scared to oc it anymore...

jennyandgreg

Registered
The Tornado is really loud isnt it?

Ununquadium114 said:
just put fsb @ 275 & its workin g00 so far. still getting temps of around 40 C, the vantec tornado is an excellent fan. :clap:

crotale

Ununquadium114 said:
setting is 1.75, but board puts it at 1.65. whats wrong with anything above 1.7? to test stability, i run kazaa & fold. that usually tells me how stable things are.

Kazaa?

I get at least 2-3C more with prime than with fold...

OP
Ununquadium114

Ununquadium114

Disabled
well i prefer folding because it accomplishes more than trying to find 10 million digit prime numbers