• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I put optional fans on my new Antec 1200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baris_

Hello,

I just ordered the Antec 1200 case and there are some optional fans. Should I buy some and put them on? Is it worth it? If yes, which ones?

Rich'[ard]

the Antec 1200 is already awesome for cooling.
it comes bundled with quite a few fans already.
if you don't like the blue-LED fans, want something quieter (eg. Scythe Slipstreams, Noctua fans), want a different colour (Xigmatek orange fans), by all means, change them :thup:

OP
B

baris_

the Antec 1200 is already awesome for cooling.
it comes bundled with quite a few fans already.
if you don't like the blue-LED fans, want something quieter (eg. Scythe Slipstreams, Noctua fans), want a different colour (Xigmatek orange fans), by all means, change them :thup:

No no, that wasn't what I was getting at. Yes, it comes with 6 fans. Good fans, that I like. But there are 2 more optional fans able to be installed. I think a rear and a side one. Not sure anyways. But is it worth it to get those? Then it has 8 fans instead of 6.

Lavacon

That case has 3x120mm front intake, 2x120mm exhaust, and a 200mm top fan. You should run it for a bit and see how the temps are. I imagine you are good to go :)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Heatware Profile
I didnt install the side fan (only one it doesnt come with) on mine. It was fine without. But if you want to, go for it. Why are we making this decision???

OP
B

baris_

I didnt install the side fan (only one it doesnt come with) on mine. It was fine without. But if you want to, go for it. Why are we making this decision???

It's not like money grows on a tree over here. I was just asking if it is necessary get that extra optional fan on it. If it really improves a lot I would put down money for it.

It is not something I hope for. And even if I did, I still wouldn't know what fan to get.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Heatware Profile
Money doesnt grow on trees in the US either. ;)

Just see what your temps are like without. If you WANT to add another one and can AFFORD it, go for it. It cant hurt. Stock though that thing moves some air so I wouldnt worry about it. Especially if money is a concern.

OP
B

baris_

Money doesnt grow on trees in the US either. ;)

Just see what your temps are like without. If you WANT to add another one and can AFFORD it, go for it. It cant hurt. Stock though that thing moves some air so I wouldnt worry about it. Especially if money is a concern.

Thank you sir, thanks for the input :) I'll do that.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
Heatware Profile
No no, that wasn't what I was getting at. Yes, it comes with 6 fans. Good fans, that I like. But there are 2 more optional fans able to be installed. I think a rear and a side one. Not sure anyways. But is it worth it to get those? Then it has 8 fans instead of 6.

It comes with three 120mm front fans, two 120mm rear fans, and the top fan. The optional fans are side and "duct".

I'm not at home and haven't opened my 1200 for over two months, so don't remember the setup exactly, but there's a bracket for a "duct" fan that attached to the back of one of the drive bays. So, it doesn't come with two fans, rather than one :) You can see it in the fifth image here
11-129-043-S05

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Heatware Profile
I owned one yeah... forgot about that. The first thing I did was remove that thing though. Again, didnt use it and had GREAT temps.

OP
B

baris_

I owned one yeah... forgot about that. The first thing I did was remove that thing though. Again, didnt use it and had GREAT temps.

Do you reckon that should always be removed? I will not use it. Now that makes me wonder, what should I do when I get the case? Anything you lads think I should do before I do anything? Like for instance, removing that fan inside that I will not use anyway?

Btw: Thank you all for your replies. You've helped me a lot!

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Heatware Profile
Again, its just preference. There is nothing I can think of that NEEDS to be done to it. I just did b/c and for no other reason.

dgb303

I wouldn't worry about the side fan unless you're running a sli or crossfire config where you need to jam extra air between the two cards. Otherwise the case already has outstanding cooling and doen't need any additional fans imo.

OP
B

baris_

I wouldn't worry about the side fan unless you're running a sli or crossfire config where you need to jam extra air between the two cards. Otherwise the case already has outstanding cooling and doen't need any additional fans imo.

Thank you, I will keep the standard setup then. :)

Rich'[ard]

oops, soz man, misunderstood.
the side fan is good for cooling down your graphics card/s.
the other rear fan will give you better airflow no doubt. but if you're not a fan of dust or anything...and you don't need taht much cooling, don't bother with it.

OP
B

baris_

oops, soz man, misunderstood.
the side fan is good for cooling down your graphics card/s.
the other rear fan will give you better airflow no doubt. but if you're not a fan of dust or anything...and you don't need taht much cooling, don't bother with it.

Don't worry about it. I do not like dust, especially since I don't have the tools here to remove dust efficiently. I will stay with the standard 6 fans.