• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I RAID?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pixel

I have a 10gig IDE fireball POS. it has ntfs on it and i dont know if i should raid it. i dont know much about raid so any tips and stuff would be nice. its the only hd im gonna be using (haha yea i know! 10 gigs....its ok i have a 120 external ;)) ok heres the set up:

10gig= WINXP Pro /w SP1 and all my games and proggies
120gigUSB2= MP3s, Movies whatever

what should i do to keep me fast booting and rockin?
should i raid the 10gig i dont even know what that would do!? ahh im a nub -_-

gtsimmo

For a RAID you need two or more hard drives, not possible with just one hard drive. Internal ones. YOu would also need a RAID controller.

Short summary of the most common RAID format available to IDE drives.

RAID 0

Also known as stripping array. Uses two hard drives, preferably identical ones, and sets them to act as one. Files are split between the two drives. Faster write time and read time, better performance. Downside, no data protection in case you RAID goes bad, if one disk dies your data is lost.

RAID 1

Mirror Array. Two hard drives are used. Both hard drives are identical copies of one another. Best for data protection. No real performance increase. But theoritically should increase your read time since your computer can read info from both disk at once. Downside storage capacity lost. Two 40 gb hard drives in a RAID 1 doesnt equal 80 gb, it equals 40 gb.

RAID 0+1

Stripping and mirroring. Minimum number of drives 4! Combines the best of both worlds. Downside you need 4 drives!

Couple of notes about RAID. Generally rule, you want to use identical model hard drives to set up a RAID. You dont have to but it's highly encourage you do. The performance and storage capibility of a RAID array depends solely on it's weakest link, in either word the smaller or slower drive. Say you RAID a 40 gb and a 80 gb hard drive. In RAID 0 you would have a total capicity of just 80gb instead of 120gb, and in RAID 1 you would have a capicity of a 40gb.

What your suggesting is nothing more than a regular hard drive setup, with an external hard drive for storage to keep your internal one as clean as possible. Good idea but there's nothing RAID about it.

ALso read this thread so a more in detail look into RAID. RAID isnt for everyone. Especially RAID 0. But with risk comes reward.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104802

Last edited:

jennyandgreg

Registered
What home user application could ever stripping justify raid (other than the gadget coolness)?? I mean mirroring Raid I understand. But from what I understand video editing is the most strorage intensive normal user use and if you transfer digital video the need is 10MBs sustained transfer rate which is cake for a normal SATA drive.

What am I missing?!?!?

OP
Pixel

Pixel

hehe ok i might raid when i get another HD and more free time. thanks i was just really tired and confused! haha

bafbrian

gtsimmo said:
For a RAID you need two or more hard drives, not possible with just one hard drive. Internal ones. YOu would also need a RAID controller.

Short summary of the most common RAID format available to IDE drives.

RAID 0

Also known as stripping array. Uses two hard drives, preferably identical ones, and sets them to act as one. Files are split between the two drives. Faster write time and read time, better performance. Downside, no data protection in case you RAID goes bad, if one disk dies your data is lost.

RAID 1

Mirror Array. Two hard drives are used. Both hard drives are identical copies of one another. Best for data protection. No real performance increase. But theoritically should increase your read time since your computer can read info from both disk at once. Downside storage capacity lost. Two 40 gb hard drives in a RAID 1 doesnt equal 80 gb, it equals 40 gb.

RAID 0+1

Stripping and mirroring. Minimum number of drives 4! Combines the best of both worlds. Downside you need 4 drives!

Couple of notes about RAID. Generally rule, you want to use identical model hard drives to set up a RAID. You dont have to but it's highly encourage you do. The performance and storage capibility of a RAID array depends solely on it's weakest link, in either word the smaller or slower drive. Say you RAID a 40 gb and a 80 gb hard drive. In RAID 0 you would have a total capicity of just 80gb instead of 120gb, and in RAID 1 you would have a capicity of a 40gb.

What your suggesting is nothing more than a regular hard drive setup, with an external hard drive for storage to keep your internal one as clean as possible. Good idea but there's nothing RAID about it.

ALso read this thread so a more in detail look into RAID. RAID isnt for everyone. Especially RAID 0. But with risk comes reward.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104802

Good writeup man, THX for the INFO.

OP
Pixel

Pixel

yea is sata better than ide kuz i am thinking of buying a new hd should i go sata or play it safe with ide?

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
jennyandgreg said:
What home user application could ever stripping justify raid (other than the gadget coolness)?? I mean mirroring Raid I understand. But from what I understand video editing is the most strorage intensive normal user use and if you transfer digital video the need is 10MBs sustained transfer rate which is cake for a normal SATA drive.

What am I missing?!?!?
first welcome to the forums!

secondly (please forgive sarcasm) but the only people who say this is people who dont use raid0

i wont use raid1 as i have nothing of importance (well besides my ut game saves0 on my pc.

ive always used raid0 on my main rigs.there are reviews after reviews saying im wrong that raid0 does nothing to speed a pc up.

BUT! think of it this way.
whats the biggest bottleneck speed wise on a pc?
if you correct that bottleneck wouldnt the whole whole pc be directly affected with an increase? on a highly oced pc any slight improvement in disk speed is highley noticable imho.

i didnt just by fast drives becouse i had extra $$$$ i did it as its the single best ivestment to make a fast pc alot faster.

btw gtsimmo, good explanation man i couldnt have said it better!