• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I stick with Coolermaster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

james__bean

Registered
I've been looking at ways of improving the cooling in my coolermaster because it has no intakes. I was considering actually replacing the front bezel with the Praetorian's so that I could install two front 92mm fans. That would cost me another $150 though and I would probably only have one usable case after all of the modding.

Then I came across this silverstone case today at sundial micro.

TJ04-photo.jpg

Sundial micro has been adding a lot of Silverstone cases recently and pretty much all of them have been fugly. But when I saw this case I was instantly impressed. It has all of the features that I've been looking for in a case. A front 120mm fan along with two 80mm fans running out the back. It also has a top blow hole. It has a removeable mobo tray and a drive bay door. (Something that I personally really love.) Here's a link to some pics of the inside.

The price seems a little steep over at sundial micro though and they don't have it in stock yet. I'd probably also have to cut my own window on the side. (Something that would prove a lot more difficult than just replacing a front bezel or cutting a 120mm blow hole.) So what do you think I should do? Stick with my coolermaster plan or go for the new silverstone? Which one do you think would be better for a water cooling setup?

Here's a pic of a 220b and a Praetorian if you haven't seen them yet.

th_atc220bvx1.jpg

th_pact01-main.jpg

wannaoc

Well when it gomes to Cooler master I will always turn people away. Their products are always way overpriced and usually work just the same, and in most I've seen worse, than other cheaper brands.

For example the bottom pic you have there looks almost the same as the Kingwin kt-424 and I'm assuming because its Cooler Master its around $150.00 or so while the Kingwin is $85.00. I would go for another brand completely but thats just my .02. :)

Speed_Mechanic2

SundialMicro links their announcement of the SST-TJ03 to the desktop case SST-LC03. So I don't think the prices are meant to be the same. The bottom door blocks straight airflow through the front fan on this case, so you might want to take it off/modify it if you did purchase one.

The Kingwin KT424 is a very good looking, convenient, and well-built case selling for $94/$105 (Non-Windowed/Windowed) from NewEgg.

When your in this price range, you always got to consider Lian-Li's PC60USB cases.

Either case will need a good imagination and modding skills to nicely fit a complete water-cooling set-up. With a relocation of the hard-drive bay, you could probably fit a decent-sized heater core in any of the cases.

Mico

Most Coolermaster cases look quite nice, but lack functionality in the actual colling department. I think that is why they are letting out the praetorians, but just me .02
I would definitely go for that Kingwin case...very good quality, and definitely enough cooling. Or as said above as well, get the Lian-Li, which offer good quality, at the more expensive pricing.

Axis

Mico said:
Most Coolermaster cases look quite nice, but lack functionality in the actual colling department. I think that is why they are letting out the praetorians, but just me .02
I would definitely go for that Kingwin case...very good quality, and definitely enough cooling. Or as said above as well, get the Lian-Li, which offer good quality, at the more expensive pricing.

Tottaly agreed! If you are more $$$ conscious the KingWin is better.

lostshoe420

Is Lian Li no longer sold by newegg? A while ago when I was browsing for cases I saw it, but recently it was not listed as a manufacturer.

Axis

I actually broke down and bought mine at CompUSA. It was a decent price but I still got the hebegeebees going in that place :D

I hate that store but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

Lol :)

OP
J

james__bean

Registered
Money is not really an issue here, I'm just debating on which would be the better setup. If I buy a Praetorian and stick the front bezel on my 220B then I'll have two 80mm fans blowing air in and one 80mm fan on the back and another on the top. I was considering making the front two 92mm instead. Also, I'd have to mod the top blow hole to be 120mm most likely because that's probably the best place to put the radiator. I'd still have a door restricting air flow with this setup, but the door can be opened. With this Silverstone case I wouldn't be able to do that. Then again, I'd have two 80mm fans on the back which would probably be an easier location to put a radiator then cutting my own top blow hole. Aren't there radiators that are for two 80mm fans? Also, with this silverstone case I could put the radiator in the front with the 120mm if I had to.

Heh, decisions :(

lostshoe420

What about the Cooler Master Wave Master...It is one of the nicest cases around in my opinion. However, I have no idea about the cooling, but I would imagine its dismal and that it was sacrificed for sheer asthetics.

Last edited:

Tawcan

Registered
lostshoe420 said:
What about the Cooler Master Wave Master...It is one of the nicest cases around in my opinion. However, I have no idea about the cooling, but I would imagine its dismal and that it was sacrificed for sheer asthetics.

I agree, CoolerMater Wave Master is one nice case.

The thing about CoolerMaster vs Lian Li.

CoolerMaster front fans are mounted on top of each other while the Lian Li front fans are mounted side by side. From what I've read CoolerMaster's design is better in terms of air flow.

CoolerMaster cases are overpriced but they're really nice cases. You can find CoolerMater clones probably but I'm not sure how good the quality is.

Speed_Mechanic2

DangerDen sells Radiators for 2x80mm in a side-by-side config, but they are way overpriced. You'ld get arguably better cooling sticking with a single 120mm config. If you really want 2x80mm, the best way would be to start looking for a heater core that matches that dimension (approx 4" x 7")

Freezermug

The silverstone case kinda reminds me of the super lanboy case for some reason. It has kinda the same lines on the front except the bottom half intake is alum vs plastic.

wannaoc - Well when it gomes to Cooler master I will always turn people away. Their products are always way overpriced and usually work just the...

This is an unfair comment that is both old and untrue. Ive been following Cooler Master products for a long time and a vast majority of these comments are based on comparinsons of the CoolerMaster 110 vs the Lian Li pc60. Coolermaster has changed alot of its line, reduced prices as well as increased thier product range to better compete with Lian Li since then and people need to realize that.

Lian Li still does has a larger product line in the lower pricerange however just because you go CoolerMaster it doesnt mean you will pay more for the same thing. The all Aluminum Cooler Master Praetorian Is the same exact price as about 6 of Lian Li most popular models. A favorite is still the Lian Li pc 70 and 71 wich is mucho denaro 180-200 range.

As far as quality goes that both have thier ups and downs and my own opinion is Cooler Master quality is still higher. Lian Li uses thin aluminum faceplate that is hollow. Cooler Master uses a solid aluminum plate as thier faceplate.

Bottom Line is you can get a Lian Li or a Coolermaster now for 100-120 dollars. Both companies have entire lines ranging from roughly the same price to the rediculious.

Last edited:

FIZZ3

wannaoc said:
Well when it gomes to Cooler master I will always turn people away. Their products are always way overpriced and usually work just the same, and in most I've seen worse, than other cheaper brands.

CoolerMaster's aluminium cases are not made by themselves, but by an able OEM company called ATCStek. It just so happens that this particular "Praetorian" case (previously ATC201 with metallic paint) is a fine product of theirs. Some points compared to the competition; 2mm alu construction (Antec for example uses only 1.2mm on their P160), 5mm full front plate. You get all drive covers, no plastic parts whatsoever and 4 80mm fans from YSTech with front intake and top exhaust filtered.
In short: the quality of this case is outstanding. Sure, a cardboard box canhold your components too, but the money you spent does have a return in this case.

Here is an example of some other design made by ATCStek:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/Digital Library/PR030319ATCSTEK.jsp

Note that their referenced website seems to be non-functional though.

Cyrix_2k

I really like the Praetorian myself. Another member here has one with a real sweet water-cooling setup in it. It looks awesome!

OP
J

james__bean

Registered
Actually that top blow hole is exactly what I was planning on doing if I stick with coolermaster. That setup is sexy.

FIZZ3

james__bean said:
Actually that top blow hole is exactly what I was planning on doing if I stick with coolermaster. That setup is sexy.

There isn't too much space up there, but this setup has really used that spot very nicely.

I have my radiator in the lower front of the case myself. The sweet thing about watercooling with this case is that it's possible to have a powerful system all inside this elegant and relatively compact enclosure. Sweet IMO. :)

wannaoc

Just to let you know the Kingwin also is all 2.0mm aluminum with no plastic parts.

If you wish to waste your money on Cooler Master then its your loss but when I order directly from them as a reseller and never get my orders that make a half-*** company imo no matter how big.