• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I swap graphics cards or just buy a new one and have 2 computers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

technoViking

Hello everyone.

I was wondering what I should do.

I'll probably build a new system by the end of Q4 of 2008.

Well my current system in my sig runs all the new games awesome, the reason I upgraded the graphics card (which I'm glad I did) was because my old one the 6800gt burnt up.

So when I build my new system should I just swap the 8800gt out of this system and put it in the new one or should I just buy another graphics card for the new system, and keep this system around as well?

I know it won't sell for much, so im not even going to try to sell it.

attack

hmmm will your motherboard support C2D's? IF so I'd just upgrade to a E4500 OC it a little and then wait. You won't gain much at all in terms of gaming performance by overhauling everything, and having a second rig is useless for me, especialy one with a high end GPU worth more than the rest of the PC.

OP
technoViking

technoViking

hm...my system is pushing 4 years old.

I wonder if it will.

I have an ABIT-AA8XE mobo
Do you know where I can find out if it does infact CD2? That would be sweet if I could just buy a new CPU and jack it in this bad boy

EFF it looks like it only supports P4's.
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/abitaa8xe/

wait a tick, it says:
LGA775 processors
and I googled that and it mentioned Dual Cores. so does that mean I'm in luck?

Last edited:

Mekks

it all depends what cards are out when you build a new system imo. unless you plain on playing games on both systems i would swap the GT to your new system, and buy a so-so card for the older system.

jivetrky

it all depends what cards are out when you build a new system imo. unless you plain on playing games on both systems i would swap the GT to your new system, and buy a so-so card for the older system.

I'd agree. Unless there is someone else in the house that might play games (like me, i have a daughter that probably plays more often that I even do) I'd say just swap.

Also, about the C2D upgrade. You could check the manufacturer website and see if there is a BIOS update available. If there is, download it and check the change log. See if it shows mentions of C2D CPUs

djrussell

Also, about the C2D upgrade. You could check the manufacturer website and see if there is a BIOS update available. If there is, download it and check the change log. See if it shows mentions of C2D CPUs

board specs: http://www.uabit.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=48&page=2&model=236

bios updates: http://www.uabit.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=48&page=3&model=236

it looks like although it is a socket 775 board, it doesn't support c2ds. i could be wrong.

OP
technoViking

technoViking

Yep it seems it doesn't support C2D!
well that makes the decision much easier, I think i'm going to wait till that new processor intel is coming out with in Q4 or Q1 in 2009 starts with an N.
hah

Thanks for the help guys