• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I upgrade from 9500 Pro? If so, to what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eliu01

I got an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro just over 2 years ago, then upgraded my PIII-1.2GHz box about a year ago to this:

Intel Pentium 2.8c
MSI 865PE FIS2R
1GB (2x512MB) Mushkin PC4000
Creative Audigy 2ZS
ATI Radeon 9500Pro
WD Raptor 36GB boot drive
2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.7 RAID 1 data drive
Antec TruePower 430

I'm feeling the urge to get a new video card, but don't plan on upgrading the entire system until the 64-bit situation is a bit more settled (at least a year from now). I've tossed around these various upgrade ideas without being able to decide:

6600GT
6800NU (unlocked to 16/6)
9800Pro 256MB (flashed to XT)

So I would like to gather opinions regarding these choices, or if I should just stick with the 9500Pro and possibly overclock it. I upgraded the cooling on the 9500Pro to an Arctic Cooling VGA Cooler when I built the new box, so that shouldn't necessarily hold me back. Anyway, you guys out there in forumland are usually very helpful, so any advice you have is most appreciated. Thanks!

6800NU is the best performing card in your list even if it doesn't unlock. If it does unlock then the margin grows larger between it and the other two. I would say go for the 6800NU and try to unlock it. Like i said, even if it doesn't unlock sucessfully you still have an excellent card. It will be a HUGE step up from the 9500pro also.

J.

more then likely if you are planning to upgrade to upgrade to 64bit in a year, you are going to have to upgrade to pci-e. yeah i know you can probably find mobo with agp 8x but i would personally wait until you upgrade to 64bit then buy a new pci-e card so that you have a larger selection of better motherboards.

If he is upgrading in a year then it would be a good idea to upgrade if he wants to play any newer games.

Well, after much research, and hoping for the right deal to come along, I did this:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=326003

$199 AR for a BFG 6800 OC, for those too lazy to click on the link. Great deal! Cheaper than a BFG 6600GT OC, and with possible pipe and shader unlocks, near-6800GT performance. That'll do me for at least a year, maybe longer if I can get my P4 OCed to 3.5GHz. Thanks again guys!

Agree on the 6800nu. A great card even if it doesn't succesfully mod.
Recently replaced my 9500np with one, the Leadtek a400. Nice big copper heatsink. :D

Back