• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should i upgrade if not why

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@JLK03F150 i have the walmart mainstays student desk i also have bad eyes and wear glasses my monitor isn't in my face but it does sit a tad closer to the back it sit on a box to elevate it a tad higher as the monitor sat too low for me to comfortably view it i think my best option is to wait till the last of us comes out on pc in a few weeks and see how well my system handles it

@EarthDog @JLK03F150 ya i have very bad eyes hence why i dont sit so far away thats also partly why im still at 1080p but i just preordered both the last of us part 1 and resident evil 4 remake so i will see how well they run maxed out before i consider any upgrade one final question tho what programs do you recommend i use so i can monitor fps and framerates while i game so i can see in real time how well my system runs

@EarthDog @JLK03F150 ya i have very bad eyes hence why i dont sit so far away thats also partly why im still at 1080p but i just preordered both the last of us part 1 and resident evil 4 remake so i will see how well they run maxed out before i consider any upgrade one final question tho what programs do you recommend i use so i can monitor fps and framerates while i game so i can see in real time how well my system runs
MSI afterburner OSD module is what I use when I want to see in real time.

Take it from me. Unless you're making a huge jump in performance you will be dissatisfied with the results.

Spending $300 or $400 to get 10-15% bump in performance will be unfulfilling after the sparkle of the new CPU wears off.

I built a Ryzen 1700 system. Used it for a few years. Then went to 5600x during the covid supply shortages to feed my 3080. The 5600x wasn't enough of an upgrade so I went with a 5900x when I was able to. Then my $300 CPU became filler for a system that didn't need the horsepower. Now it's worth $100.

My advice is to wait and save up more money. Because in a year you will be in the same spot, wanting to upgrade. BUT, you'll be in the hole with this new CPU. There is no more upgrade path for the AM4 socket.

Back to some more advice. I would wait until the tail end of the 7000 series. More board and RAM choices and the technology has worked more bugs out. Hopefully, you'll be buying a 7900x for $300 by then.

MSI afterburner OSD module is what I use when I want to see in real time.

Take it from me. Unless you're making a huge jump in performance you will be dissatisfied with the results.

Spending $300 or $400 to get 10-15% bump in performance will be unfulfilling after the sparkle of the new CPU wears off.

I built a Ryzen 1700 system. Used it for a few years. Then went to 5600x during the covid supply shortages to feed my 3080. The 5600x wasn't enough of an upgrade so I went with a 5900x when I was able to. Then my $300 CPU became filler for a system that didn't need the horsepower. Now it's worth $100.

My advice is to wait and save up more money. Because in a year you will be in the same spot, wanting to upgrade. BUT, you'll be in the hole with this new CPU. There is no more upgrade path for the AM4 socket.

Back to some more advice. I would wait until the tail end of the 7000 series. More board and RAM choices and the technology has worked more bugs out. Hopefully, you'll be buying a 7900x for $300 by then.

i have decided to save up for the jump to am5

The responsible part of me is very glad to hear that.

In the end waiting for 7000 series to drop in price as your bankroll grows is going to net you the biggest performance jump. Good decision.

The responsible part of me is very glad to hear that.

In the end waiting for 7000 series to drop in price as your bankroll grows is going to net you the biggest performance jump. Good decision.

the plan atm is for me to save up money and wait till black friday and see what deals can be had online i will also take the cpu mobo and ram from my am4 rig and sell them to help fund my am5 rig

@EarthDog i do have a question im planning to sell my 3900X ASUS CROSSHSAIR 7 HERO AND MY 4 8GIG STICKS OF TEAMGROUP DDR4 3733Mhz ram would i be better off selling as a whole of parting it out? the plan hopefully is to sell my current cpu mobo and ram and then put that money towards the AM5 upgrade

@EarthDog i do have a question im planning to sell my 3900X ASUS CROSSHSAIR 7 HERO AND MY 4 8GIG STICKS OF TEAMGROUP DDR4 3733Mhz ram would i be better off selling as a whole of parting it out? the plan hopefully is to sell my current cpu mobo and ram and then put that money towards the AM5 upgrade
The answer to that question will always be changing. If you have a buyer for the whole kit, sell it. If not, part it out. It all depends on the market and what any particular individual is looking for. Parting it out means that you have to find multiple buyers but the price per item is less than the price as a whole therefore attracting more potential buyers. You might be able to get more money that way but more than likely, you'll make good money on some parts and loose money on others. Thus breaking "even" in terms of market price. Selling it as a whole can net you a fair price but you only need one buyer.

Back