• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should i upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wouldnt say you need to do anything drastic to that, looks like a good system...perhaps another 256 of memory.

if you have the money, you might as well get other stuff - maybe wait for the nv30 or r350 and get either of them.

again no rush with that one :)

no,no,no and no. nothing you have would be cost effective to upgrade. cost vs performance wise anyhow.

BUT these are toys at least to me.and when i get bored i make my toy faster buy adding 1 new part.that one change affects everything in the system so everything has to be remaximised in my thinking.

so yeh i wasted money to get a little better performance ,but i added alot of fun.changing more than 2 in that system to me is a large loss in my eyes.sometimes a new mobo needs a differant cpu so thats one exception.

also if you can sell what you have for not so much loss then its not as bad.but everything you have is above needed standards as it stands.

no,no,no and no. nothing you have would be cost effective to upgrade. cost vs performance wise anyhow.

BUT these are toys at least to me.and when i get bored i make my toy faster buy adding 1 new part.that one change affects everything in the system so everything has to be remaximised in my thinking.

so yeh i wasted money to get a little better performance ,but i added alot of fun.changing more than 2 in that system to me is a large loss in my eyes.sometimes a new mobo needs a differant cpu so thats one exception.

also if you can sell what you have for not so much loss then its not as bad.but everything you have is above needed standards as it stands.could stand onother stick of ram tho.

"edit" hmmm that was weird 2 replys?

YOUR_SUPERIOR said:
should i upgrade any of these parts?
Do you have a need to or the money to do so?

I only upgrade when something I need or want to do is to intensive for my machine to handle. Hence why I only upgrade every other year.

Doesnt look like your setup needs any more work, just another 256 mb of ram like so many said before. Save up your money and wait alittle bit. Another thing, if you can play all the latest game at say 1027 x 768 resolution with moderate detail level just fine, you dont need to upgrade :)

Since you didnt mention your other compenonts Im just taking a
stab at this blind folded, but if you really got a sense to upgrade look into maybe a better monitor, speakers, larger faster hard drives, etc. CPU, mobo, and ram although a important part of your system, isnt the only part to be concerned about. Maybe even pick up some of the lastest games..hehe

i will have to say NO! presently, ur pc is quite fast. if u have the money, i wud go for a gf4 though. are u overclocked?

ive overclocked the video card to close to what the ti500 is....i have a new samsung syncmaster 753df monitor, creative 5300 5.1 speakers, and a 60 gig 7200rpm maxtor harddrive

any cooling ideas? cuz i have stock cooling on the chip and just one extra fan under the psu.

YOUR_SUPERIOR said:
ive overclocked the video card to close to what the ti500 is....i have a new samsung syncmaster 753df monitor, creative 5300 5.1 speakers, and a 60 gig 7200rpm maxtor harddrive

any cooling ideas? cuz i have stock cooling on the chip and just one extra fan under the psu.
Well then. I'd say your first upgrade is a much better heatsink.

I recommend the Thermalright SK-7 and a fan rated between 35dba and 41dba.
I've never installed an SK-7 so I can't remember what size fans it can use...

Back