• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I use BD+R's or a couple of HDD's to store my data ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolf11

I currently have 520GB of data files which consist of pictures videos, 1000's of files of all kinds of stuff I want to keep safe. Option A is to have two separate HDD's 1TB each in conjunction with a external dock base like Thermaltake's Black X which is connected to the pc with a esata cable, which I have this setup right now *partially*. The HDD is actually a internal HDD being used with a external dock. As of right now it's risky I know but I only have the one HDD. I have not gotten a second HDD yet.

This is how I would do it when I backup my stuff I want to keep if I get a second HDD. I move my files from the desktop to the first HDD and then to the second HDD. I do this method every time manually to each HDD each time maybe a few times a month. Sometimes it's adding sometimes it's editing or deleting. I get the feeling what I'm suggesting doing seems archaic, is it ?

Here's the problem with this setup, If one HDD fails one day I lose everything. This is why I have another HDD that has duplicate data on it. So if one fails I'll have the backup. Here's the thing though sometimes HDD's just don't fail completely and can sometimes before it does, some files could get corrupt. So if a HDD gets corrupt in some spots and affect some files I won't know. Just to let you know I did find some rar files corrupted on my HDD. The way I found out was I ran a RAR test within the rar program where it test the file and I had many that failed and the files were corrupted some how and don't why either.

I've already looked into doing a raid setup but no way, I'm not doing it, please don't suggest it.

These are my other options.

I could just burn 65 DVD+DL disc's, but I think that to much stuff to burn and keep track of.

Get a Blu-ray burner and burn 22 BD-R's. I can get a BD burner for about 75$. With double layer BD-R's I only would have to burn about 11 disc's. I may have to re-burn burn disc's sometimes when editing or deleting but not when I add.

With Blu-ray I would only have to burn my stuff once and only have one copy as long as I get good media and store in dry cool place and not in the sun light, like my closet would be a good choice.

What should I do, I need to make a decision soon, either get another HDD or get a Blu-ray.

thanks for any advice.

What are you trying to protect against, specifically? Data corruption stemming from software, user error, or hardware failures? There is no perfect solution to any of these, but there are steps you can take to prevent issues. But I need to know what you are trying to do first.

Regardless of your intent, you should consider adding offsite storage to the mix, which could include versioning depending on which service you choose. I personally use and highly suggest CrashPlan as it is cheap and unlimited in space. If you have a decent connection and your data doesn't change enough that it can keep up, this is a great supplemental option to local data duplication.

In addition to the nightly CrashPlan sync, I use my local file server for a local copy. I use rsync to copy to a folder running on top of a ZFS array (which has file integrity verification built in, along with RAID-like qualities), which syncs hourly.

If you can physically take hard drives to an offsite location (work, friend's or relative's house, etc.), it would probably end up much cheaper and faster than cloud storage. (Use encryption if you're worried about someone looking through your data.)

That would be vary rare that you would have a USB 3.0 portable hard drive go bad and your PC HDD go bad at the same time.

But I'd have to buy two of them. One to back up the other.
I think you missed a few posts and a few questions. If you want help, I don't mind providing assistance, but it is annoying to help someone out then have them completely ignore it.

Back