• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I wait for DVD-RW?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolfmist

I have a Creative 8/4/32 CD burner. It has been a great CD-burner. But now that 40x CD burners are out, it seems like a good time to upgrade.

However, I also want to buy a DVD-RW when prices become more reasonable.

So anyone know if it would be a good idea to buy a 40x drive now, or wait until DVD-RW prices go down?

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
get one now.... Lite-Ons can be had for below $100. DVD-RW will take a few months before they becme reasonable... and by then we may not be able to record DVDs... as if we could now

Gilgamesh

dvd writers sucks dvd r can only burn dvd r and same as dvd rw there is no such a drive as dvd rw+r. So you better get one cd burner because its the best thing to make your back ups:D :D
DVD is still gonna take a couple of yrs.

Cooler666

Disabled
48x burners from Lite-on and probably also Plextor are coming out within a month, I would not buy a DVD burner because there is no real standard yet and something else like blue/ultraviolet laser may take over so i would wait at least a year for that.

Bacchana1

I agree with Cooler and Gil, I think a year (or two) would be a good amount of time to wait for dvd-rx?. Sales for dvd writable drives are supposed to increase exponentially over the next year. So that means prices should drop dramatically, and hopefully we'll begin to see some standards emerge. I think it's inevitable that we will be burning (and ripping) DVDs just like we do now with CDs. After all, if it can be observed it can (but not neccessarily should) be copied. Two great resources are always the CDR faq and the DVD faq:eek:

BinarySuperman

omg 48x?!?!?! i just got a 32x and already feel like my TDK is slow, but i gotta tell ya it feels great to burn a full cd in under 3 minutes

OP
Wolfmist

Wolfmist

Well I was hoping to hear this, since I want a faster burner.

So next question is, is the Lite On ok? Or is the Plextor worth the price.

Also what is Mt. Rainer as long as we're on the subject?

AlanSr

I"ve read alot about these new faster drives and I don't see any reason to go over 24X cuz none of them "that I've read about" can burn a CD faster than 24X. plus is there really a difference in speed. my plextor 16X can do a 700mb cd in just over 4 minutes.

OP
Wolfmist

Wolfmist

While they don't go at 40 x the whole time, they do average higher than a 24 or 16 x does. However, I do see your point about it not being that much faster. For me however I think I would see a dramatic improvement with 40x over my 8x burner.