• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should mobo bleep if no gp is installed ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sharkydog

Registered
HI Ive just regged here bc overclockers should probably know. Other fora just s..

System hw:
Msi gm785-e65 motherb.
Athlon ii x3 3000
2gb ram kingston fury blue
Thermalright ven. X cooler
Using internal vc, on msi board with 128 sideport ddr 3 ram
Nexus value 430 psu
Windows 7

Spare parts:
Msi 890fxa-gd65 but no vc to test other hw.
Amd phenom black ed. X6 cpu

Sadly my computer has problems. It doesnt boot anylonger, drives are ok. but it was having troubles lately randomly just quiting from windows to a reset, but then getting stuck at the bios splashscreen. Still cannot narrow down the source problem since I have no spare parts to test the parts 1x1. This is the main problem discussed here, how to test without spare parts.

After testing all hw 1x1 as far as possible without spare parts to exchange, I did try transfer all hw from the e65 board (the cpu ram psu cooler) to the msi 890fx board (which a friend gave me ) but it has no graphics card which it needs. But hoping error bleeps could still indicate source of any faulty hw, But it doesnt. It even gives all the same results as with the other mobo.

Should a mobo without graphics card installed but with all other hw installed (psu cpu cooler ram) bleep nonetheless indicating anything at fault?

So the same problems on both boards with psu cpu rsm cooler installed:
"Stuck at phase 2 cpu loading" according to moboleds but no beeps to indcate possible hardware problem on power up. Only the fans and cooler of psu spin. Also tried: clear cmos, reverse ramstick order, 1stick at a time, slots 3/4 instead of 1/2, ram out, still no bleeps, Even tried with a different processor ( the last spare part I did have as mentioned) nothing. Even raised motherboard off table with book bc maybe laquer of table could conduct, nah... still no error beeps to pinpoint possible faulty hw....

Yes I fid clean everything prior to testing.

Also due to low income to buy new hw. Ie. new psu or ram. Im looking for ways to pinpoint the possible faulty hw without the need for a graphics card on the 890fxa board if this is even possible.

What should I try next?

Message sent from iphone.

Last edited:
Yes. The msi e65 had one built onto the mobo. The other mobo I had to plug in a small speaker on the mobo that came with it.

Just to make sure, you did test the X6 CPU in the MSI board with the rest of your hardware, correct?

This could be due to PSU starting to fail as well.

I'm definitely not ruling that out.
Unknown name brand, and if it's the same age as the other components then it wouldn't surprise me that it was going.

That is correct. Tested both cpu's on both boards. First on the msi e65 with thr problems initially occuring Then on the spare mobo but without a graphics card (the board has no ioboard gpu). But both boards gave the same results nonetheless. "Stuck at phase2" power acc to mobo -leds. And No error bleeps whatsoever. What could this mean?

Im thinking since I tested both cpu's on both boards, but both boards dont even kick with or without the ram inserted and in any order. This could rule out both the cpu and ram? So The psu is possibly at fault?
Why wont both boards bleep?

We did have bad weather here. If my psu got struck why would it still power my system a few times (but resetting randomly with system getting stuck at bios splashscreen)?

Ok so maybe it didnt get struck and is just going bad haha

Could it be that small resistance thingie in the psu that blew?
I did open the psu up but cannot find it. It is also too dark now for a photo.
Fan of the psu still spins though. But dont know if this indicates one or the other.

The nexus was regarded as one of he best and silent psu out there by silentpcreview (i think)

Sadly no. But maybe they are not too expensive. What to look for. Would a small 3x2" one with digital readings be sufficient?

Just a little $10 one from Walmart will do what you need. All you need it for is to check voltages.

Ok then that will be my priority nr1 befire buying new hw parts blind. Thanks.

I still like to know if a mb should bleep or not even if no graphics card is installed but other hw is?

Beeps can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from model to model.
I'm not sure if yours should or shouldn't beep, and I couldn't find anything in the manual to guide me on that.

Both motherboards and PSUs can develop bad capacitors that will permit some level of function to continue for the device but will not hold up beyond a certain load level.

Sharky, in what part of the world do you live?

HI Trents. I live in Holland. City of Purmerend to be exact. Why?

If we were to recommend replacement parts it helps to know that pricing and availability and vendors might not be the same as they would for us who live in a different part of the world. So if we who live in North America were to recommend a part found on NewEgg for instance at a certain price it would not be relevant to you in Holland.

Hardlocks in the bios is generally power or heat. CPU stuck in power phase is also power related. I'd dump that PSU and start there.

Yeah but to do the PSU test with a multimeter and do it correctly he would need to check voltages under load. And he can't get that far. It is possible the PSU voltages will appear to be in spec when not under load. But it's sure something to try since if they are out of spec when not under load then there's the answer right there.

It'll be under load when he turns it on. Watch for the voltage dip as it tries to post.

Back