• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should the idle temperature rise when overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hosic

Registered
Im just getting into the OCin world and i went from 2.6 to 2.98. When it was on 2.4, it idled at 26c, now at 3ghz, its idling usually at 25c maybe 26c sometimes. Also seen no difference in temp. when playing games/running 3dmark2k1.

I maybe have MBM5 setup wrong or would this be normal.
Its running completely normal right now.

Tebore

Well if you didn't change the voltage then it might not change at all. If you think about it a 3.0ghz chip and 2.6 chip are almost the same chip using the same cooling set up (stock) and use the same voltage. They only differ about 2 degrees at stock, idle temps is what I've noticed. So if you have good air flow and no change in voltage then you might not notice a change in temps.

OP
H

hosic

Registered
okay, guess that makes sense :)
Im running a Vantec aeroflow vp4-c7040 heatsink with 4 case fans (not counting the cpu and ps fans.

MB is a p4p800 board (800fsb cpu). What do you recommend as the next step up?

OP
H

hosic

Registered
well, only programs i have right now is 3dmark2k1 and prime5. I have yet to run a full run with prime5 and 3dmark2k1 doesnt really do a whole lot. While running counter-strike or battlefield, it never went above 29c, and that was playing over a hour.
Just sucks that im on 56k and cant download a nice program to use.
Whats to do to get the load temp?

AntiHeiss

Also keep in mind that default thermal diodes tend to be a little less accurate than people give them credit for. Obviously your temps didn't change much, perhaps only one or two degrees, but your thermal diode may not reflect much of a change even though it might have. For example, your temp might have risen 2 degrees, but the change is so like the other, your display will still reflect the same basic temperature.