• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should we use 1A phone chargers to prolong battery life, for overnight charging?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
I happened to have grabbed one of those super fast chargers, and I'm thinking, wait a minute, this is for my bedroom for overnight charging.
Isn't the downside of super fast charging a shorter battery life?

Maybe I shouldn't be even using a standard 2A charger?

What is the effect on cell phone battery estimated time before failure, if using 1A vs 2A vs 3A chargers?

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
I have moved away from overnight charging. I now float between 30-90% of charge. But I do have cables everywhere. Nightstand, computer desk, cars, work desk, etc... Some are regular charging rate but most are 2a or better. After 2 years of ownership I feel that my Note 10 holds a charge better than my Note 8 did at the same age. Both were never wiped and fresh install of Android.

mackerel

I wouldn't worry about it. Fast charging only happens when the battery is low. Say, <50% for example but exact thresholds may differ. At higher charges it has to slow down anyway. Battery management in device will take care of it.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
The only way it could damage your battery (life- signficantly) is if the phone is screwed up (plenty of info on the web - this isn't an crowd sourced opinion-type thing). Technology in the phone prevents it.

Anecdotally, I only have 'super' fast (3A) chargers around for the last two gens of phones....I generally charge overnight and leave it there until I wake up. My phone takes around 2 hours to fully charge from a couple of %. All my phones (wife's too) and batteries made it well past its warranted life (I 'needed' a new phone... wasn't due to a battery). My wife is still plugging along on a 4+ year old note 8, my s6 lasted nearly 4 years too (not sure that was 'super fast' but again bought a new phone to upgrade not because of the battery.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Earthdog has the correct answer here. Your phone handles this, as otherwise there would be rampant battery issues with lay users not charging appropriately.

OP
c627627

c627627

This is very interesting. So you are saying that fast charging does not affect modern cell phone battery life significantly.
Thank you.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
One way or another your battery life is going to dwindle. My 2yo Pixel 4XL doesn't have the same battery life that it did when I bought it, but that is mostly just that all (LI/phone) batteries have a finite number of cycles before they start degrading. Hopefully some newer solid-state/etc technology will improve on this in the future, but I think it will require phone manufacturers being willing to put that hardware into their phone, as I imagine a lot of people buy a new phone every few years partly because the battery life of their old phone doesn't last as long as it used to.

OP
c627627

c627627

Last century and well into this one, I used to *always* have two phones.
One for charging battery, one for use.

I was a couple of seconds away from being at 100%, anywhere, always. You pop the near empty battery out, place the fully charged in, and insta-100% brother! Instantaneous. No waiting to charge, you didn't even think about charging at all, that's what dedicated spare battery chargers were for. I used to look at Apple morons not being able to do that, and how much they were missing out.

And then for @$%^#! aesthetic reasons, and some would say for reasons of having the ability to [legally] track us through non-removable battery powered phones, they took away replaceable batteries.
And thus took away our ability to always be two seconds away from 100%.
I used to never ever run out of juice, and those were the days when batteries were considerably weaker than today..
What a step backward not to be able to pop in a fully charged battery!

On another note, I think maybe I got the idea of battery life being shortened from AA and AAA fast battery chargers back in the day. I think they shortened the life of rechargeable batteries if charging them too fast.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I dont think there's much that can replace the convenience of a drop in 2nd battery.

That said, there's cases with batteries in them (many with more capacity than your phone). But hell, if you blow through that much power in a day, you have to wonder if a phone is really the right device for the job.

You need to have a phone modern enough to utilize Qi charging to use, but... feels like the same thing to me. Instead of a loose second battery (or...phone?), it's attached to your phone doing work already. ;)

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
I have moved away from overnight charging. I now float between 30-90% of charge. But I do have cables everywhere. Nightstand, computer desk, cars, work desk, etc... Some are regular charging rate but most are 2a or better. After 2 years of ownership I feel that my Note 10 holds a charge better than my Note 8 did at the same age. Both were never wiped and fresh install of Android.

Just to expand on why I was comparing the Note 8 to the 10. The Note 8 was religiously charged by a fast charger every night whereas the Note 10 is charged sporadically throughout the day.

Just an observation.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
A phone 2 years old or less is going to handle charging...My Pixel 6 Pro for example has a setting so that it will time the charge to be fully charged when you wake up...

IMHO battery life after 2 years is affected more from the changes in software OS and otherwise in those 2 years than the battery wearing out. I have reset phones to sell them and the battery gains a considerable life from not having my considerable apps hammering the crap out of it...